Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer freezes up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 redbird

redbird

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:53 PM

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem. My computer freezes up when it's been idle for a while, maybe after an hour or so. The system resources go to 100% and all I can do is reboot to use it again.

I run Spy Sweeper and Norton Anti-Virus/ Internet Security and keep both updated. Norton has detected an Adware.Adpopup in a file named unps.dll. The file was a hidden file which I have now unhide. Norton has deleted it nor can I delete it. When I try I get a message saying the file can't be deleted because another program is using it and I should close any programs that are running it. The Symantec help information wasn't very helpful in getting this deleted.

I'm not sure if my system resource problem is related to this Adware, but I would appreciate any ideas and help.

Thank you.
Redbird

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 02:32 AM

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the Norton anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 redbird

redbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:48 AM

Rimmer,

I do run "Spy Sweeper" from Webroot. Do you recommend that I download those 3 items from your message?

Thank you.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:02 AM

Since Rimmer is not online. I will answer you. Yes. All of these programs are highly recommended. It never hurts to have as much protection as possible. I myself, along with many otheres here at BC, use these programs regularly.

Be sure to read the tutorials. :thumbsup: And run them all (inc. your antivirus) in Safe Mode as Rimmer has suggested.
Posted Image

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:35 PM

Thanks Scarlett. :thumbsup:

Our timezone differences make interactive posting difficult sometimes.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 redbird

redbird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:02 PM

Thank you both. I've printed off the tutorials and I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users