Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are these protection softwares enough?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

Hi BC,

So this is my system protection so far:

Avast! Professional Edition
Windows Defender
Ad-Aware Free

Soon to install:
Comodo Firewall
Keyscrambler

Maybe: McAfee SiteAdvisor toolbar

On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being awesome), how would you rate my system's protection against infection? Are there any areas for improvement? Of course I want to keep the resources light (so computer runs smoothly) while still having pretty good protection.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:53 PM

Hi,

I removed Ad-Aware months ago and now use SuperAntiSpyware and Malawarebyte free versions as on demand scanners weekly.

You might want to add SpywareBlaster and use a hosts file for protection. It consumes no resources, you just need to remember to update it manually about once a week as updates are not real frequent.

I have used both McAfee SiteAdvisor and WOT (Web of Trust). Between the two I find WOT much more useful, it provides more information and is so simple to use. This has been a very effective tool for me.

I like Comodo firewall very much but it does require more user interface in the way of pop up windows. It will remember your choices to allow or block each time and it has helped my knowledge of what is going on with my system.

Window Defender scans are very slow and they have never detected anything on my machine. However I have left it on my system and have no plans to remove it.

Avast is a great product and provides very good protection. I settled on Avira after using both of them.

There are too many variables to give your system a 1-10, your surfing habits being the most important.

#3 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:19 AM

Alright...real-time protection currently features avast and Windows Defender...is that sufficient enough for real-time? Don't want to hog down the system, yet don't want to expose it either obviously...

Still haven't gotten around to installing Comodo yet, but have installed Keyscrambler and McAfee SiteAdvisor. Will probably download SuperAntiSpyware, using (as you said) strictly as on-demand (meaning shouldn't taken up resources when not running), while letting WD be the real-time protection guy.

PS Sorry for the late reply.

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:18 AM

Those sound like great apps to me!

#5 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

Yes those are good apps although I still am wondering about the benefits of Windows Defender as it virtually has never found anything on my machine, has very slow scans times and does impact system resources. I still question the benefit of leaving Windows Defender on my machine but I just do not notice knowledgeable folks removing it.

SpywareBlaster really is painless to the system as it really does not consume any resources at all and it has a free version. You can download it from the author's site (Javacool) below.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

If you use Firefox as your browser of choice (and there are good security reasons for doing so), install the NoScript add-on. I would waste no time in installing the firewall.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 27 February 2009 - 09:30 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

NoScript is a good suggestion and has helped me in the past overcome vulnerabilities.

#8 CCRN396

CCRN396

• Members
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

Hello,
In terms of free real time protection, you could try Spyware Terminator. During download, you will first be prompted to download Web Security Guard Toolbar. This program is similar to McAfee Site Advisor. You can bypass the Web Security Guard by scrolling down to the Free Antispyware protection section. During Setup, you will again be prompted to download Web Security Guard. Be sure to uncheck it if you do not want it.

You could add Malwarebytes' Anti-malware as well (See Bottom of my post for link). I also agree with Justa: SpywareBlaster is another great program you should use.

:thumbsup:

#9 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:31 PM

I agree. Spyware Terminator is very good and has great technology behind it!

#10 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

Should I use the real-time protection of SpywareTerminator instead of WD (ie. don't use WD at all then)? I'm assuming that SpywareTerminator should be "better" than WD?

Then I guess I could also use SpywareTerminator & Malbytes AntiMalware for on-demand scanning, therefore don't need SuperAntispyware on my comp.

+SpywareBlaster.

Two real-time protection, one antivirus and one antispyware (well, two antispyware if you count avast), should be OK?

#11 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

Look at PC Tools, Threatfire as a real time add-on.

#12 funnytim

funnytim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

I was just about to add that to my post...haha.

So I would add threatfire in addition to the below:

Thanks for all the replies!

Should I use the real-time protection of SpywareTerminator instead of WD (ie. don't use WD at all then)? I'm assuming that SpywareTerminator should be "better" than WD?

Then I guess I could also use SpywareTerminator & Malbytes AntiMalware for on-demand scanning, therefore don't need SuperAntispyware on my comp.

+SpywareBlaster.

Two real-time protection, one antivirus and one antispyware (well, two antispyware if you count avast), should be OK?

Just took a look at SpywareTerminator, features look pretty impressive (comes with virus scan too?). Does ST and Threatfire take up a lot of resources, or are they pretty lightweight programs (even with real-time turned on)?

#13 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

Just took a look at SpywareTerminator, features look pretty impressive (comes with virus scan too?). Does ST and Threatfire take up a lot of resources, or are they pretty lightweight programs (even with real-time turned on)?

The HIPS component of ST may butt heads with Threatfire so be prepared to disable it.

Edited by FiOS Dan, 28 February 2009 - 11:19 AM.

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

#14 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:50 PM

The HIPS component of ST will butt heads with Threatfire so disable it.

Oh...what is the source of your info...if you don't mind me asking

#15 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

Oh...what is the source of your info...if you don't mind me asking

Good question and, in retrospect, perhaps my post should be edited to be less definitive. I shall do so. My "source" is secondhand consisting of remembered threads in various forums. I have listed a few below that are illustrative. However, in reviewing them it is clear that people disagree on the likelihood of conflict between ST and TF. Off to edit my post.

http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?p=74428

http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=6648

http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t80200.html

http://forum.spywareterminator.com/Default...osts&t=3843

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?threadID=296257
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users