Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer has slowed down for no apparent reason

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JasonX

JasonX

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

Greetings magical computer guru people. I, like so many others have a problem and have turned to online forums for help. I'm usually pretty good at solving my own computer problems but this has me baffled.

Well it started a few weeks ago when I noticed my yahoo searches and whatnot were getting redirected to bogus websites. Well turns out I had a nasty bit of malware that after lots of work I managed to get rid of. It was Gaopdxbsfupbcd.sys and Gaopdxwxwthpsb.dll, a particularly tenacious rootkit I believe. I wrote down the names of them for future reference.

Well all of my computers functions have returned and symptoms of the malware are gone, but now it's just a whole lot slower than it should be. And I'm sure it's not too many startup programs or something simple like that. About 40% of my memory is being used so it's not lack of RAM, and my processor seems to be handling everything. Something is definitely wrong but I can't figure it out. Most windows that open take way longer and stop responding for several seconds at a time when working within them. This is extremely frustrating please help if someone could. I'd like to see if there's anything I can do before trying something drastic like doing a system restore or something.

I'm running a HP Pavilion dv6000 with 1.8Ghz AMD Turion 64 x2 with 2 GB of RAM if it matters.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:02 AM

Have you ensured that your system is completely clean of malware? Malware rarely comes with only one infection. If not, I'd suggest trying a couple of the independent scans listed in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/usas...?showentry=1252 (there's advice on what to do at the bottom of that post)

If you determine that it's not malware, then I'd suggest opening up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to the Processes tab and seeing what process is taking up the most CPU and Memory. Post back here with the results and we'll move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JasonX

JasonX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

I'm almost pretty sure the malware is gone. AVG can't find anything. Bitdefender and Panda Activescan can't find anything. Just a few cookies. And I don't see any processes that are taking up very much CPU or memory. Not enough at least to cause this much hang up.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

Let's try this...
Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Click on the + sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
Right click on each of the IDE Channels, select the Advanced Settings tab, and ensure that "Enable DMA" is checked. Then click on OK to exit the dialog. After doing both channels, then reboot to see if it changed anything (it should speed things up if "Enable DMA" wasn't checked).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JasonX

JasonX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:15 AM

Well it doesn't say IDE Channel but I do have ATA Channel 0 and ATI Channel 1. And ATA Channel 0 is set to DMA mode but ATA Channel 1 doesn't have an option to do so.

#6 JasonX

JasonX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

That didn't fix anything. Do you think it might be be a problem that one doesn't have the option for dma mode?

#7 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

Was your computer working fine and fast before. And did your computer began getting slower after you deleted that malware?
" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

#8 JasonX

JasonX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

Yeah it was working as fast as it should. But it wasn't working fine because the malware was screwing with my internet. But now everything works like it should just way slower.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

Malware can do many different things to affect your computer.
And, you can spend a whole lot of time trying to fix it.

Because the malware doesn't do this in ways that are expected, it's very difficult to locate and fix some of the problems.
We'll continue to try and fix it if you'd like - or we can work on a repair install (less likely to fix the problem) or a clean install (most likely to fix the problem).

But, the clean install will wipe everything out on your system and will return it to the state it was when it first left the factory.

Also, there could be an associated hardware problem that's causing this, so let's start with checking that stuff before you decide on what path to take.

The first thing to do is to check the Processes tab of Task Manager to see if anything is using excessive CPU cycles or Memory (RAM).
Next is to check your Event Viewer...Windows logs...and check the System log file and the Application log file for errors.
Next is to perform a diagnostic of your hard drive using a test from the manufacturer of your hard drive (some of the more common one's are listed here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
Finally, perform a Windows memory diagnostic using the tools built into Vista: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/using-vista-windows-memory-diagnostics-tool/

Post back with the results of all that stuff and we'll see what we can suggest from there.

#10 JasonX

JasonX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

Well I ran CHKDSK and that seems to have done the trick. Too bad I was out of the house while it was doing its thing so I didn't see what the problem might have been. Go figure. :huh:

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:31 AM

CHKDSK wouldn't have told you exactly what it did anyways :huh:
Glad that you got it fixed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users