Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

default mail program

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

Vista Home Premium 32 bit version, I have searched here and Windows Help for this simple task to no avail
How do I go about making Yahoo the default email program for my computer?
I do not want to use Windows Mail at all.
I have tried setting Yahoo in my defaults, but the system always opens Windows Mail instead of Yahoo
Indeed, the least amount of Microsoft features I use, the better
Have I overlooked a sticky or pinned note here?

Thanks in advance :huh:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

Unless I'm misreading something, you want to use Yahoo Mail as your default email provider (and not Windows Mail).
Unfortunately, Yahoo Mail is a web based service and can't be used as the default program in that way.

Being a web based service, Yahoo Mail can't access your system in the way that an email program (such as Windows Mail) can.
Yahoo Mail runs in your Internet browser (most likely Internet Explorer) and web browsers can't interface with your system the same way that an email program (called an email client) can.

There is a free program that will let you use your Yahoo Email from within Windows Mail. It's called YPops! and is available here: http://ypopsemail.com/
I've been using it for years and it works well for me.

Finally, if you're happy with how the system is handling your Yahoo email - then just ignore the prompt for the default email program. Just remember that when you click on an email link on the web it will usually launch your email client. Either close it and manually send email through your Yahoo account - or install the program I mentioned above and use it to reply to email links.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

There is a small application that can make Yahoo your default email. I'm using it on both Vista and Win7 Beta. It's called yAttach by Chris Wood.
http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/pa...il-handler.aspx

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

I learn something new here every day! Thanks Jacee!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

John, it looks like there is no direct download site, and that yAttach! and gAttach have both become a part of affixa :huh:

Here's the link for downloading:
http://www.affixa.com/Default.aspx

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:51 AM

There is a small application that can make Yahoo your default email. I'm using it on both Vista and Win7 Beta. It's called yAttach by Chris Wood.
http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/pa...il-handler.aspx

Thanks to all who responded, I was probably vague in my question so I will use an example:
While browsing the local Craigslist classifieds, I come across an item I am interested in.
The only way to communicate with the seller is via email.
Clicking on 'reply to:sale xxx xxxx xxxx' brings up Windows Mail as the email client, but I wish to use Yahoo mail instead, how do I go about setting this?
Thanks Jacee, I have yet to go to the site you suggested, will do shortly, I hope it helps
Will keep you posted
:huh:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2032818_set-up-yahoo.html

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

Another option you might want to consider is downloading Mozilla Thunderbird, and setting up your Yahoo mail account as the primary. Then you can tell Windows that Thunderbird is the default mail client. From then on, when you hit a 'send mail' button in another application, like a web browser, Thunderbird will open to your Yahoo account. Ta da!

You may need to download and install the WebMail extension for Thunderbird.

There you go. No MS email products!

Good luck.

Kang
...Soon, they will make a board with a nail so big, it will destroy them all!

#9 dguillaume

dguillaume

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

Another way to make yahoo.com your default:

Set up a gmail account. Make your yahoo email address your default "return" address. Voila, when you click on a windows mail window, it opens your yahoo mail account.

I found this out because I send photos through my gmail account - so easy - but want folks to reply to my yahoo mail account. Don't ask me why this works. I'd just reply that my experience with google is that it "takes over" whatever operation it can get its little imprint on - in this case, a positive result!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users