Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General information

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 psushelly

psushelly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

Hi, I am some what of a novice, but know a little bit from my exboyfriend, who was a software engineer. I am trying to clean up my laptop (Dell Inspiron E1505 purchased in 4/06). I have tried some free programs such as Spybot and Ad-aware. I seem to have picked up some type of virus or something from some sites that I was on. I most recently was using a free trial version of Windows Live OneCare. My father was having the same problems and so I ended up purchasing McAfee for both of our computers (I chose that program because it was cheap and covered more than one computer. I am strapped for cash and this way dad paid for it). My current problem is that I am trying to unistall Spybot and Windows Live OneCare, but when I go to the Add/remove programs in the control panel, it is completely empty. There is NOTHING there, so I can't unistall the programs, and I can't download McaFee until they are unistalled. Also, will McAfee remove all of the current problems or just prevent new ones. The only advice my ex would give me was to completely scrub my hard drive and reinstall everything, but when we split a lot of my disks got misplaced and that is not an option. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:48 PM

Mc afee should remove current problems and prevent problems, but i stay away from those subscription antiviruses most of the time. I wipe my computer when i think something is weird.

It seems like the uninstall log got misplaced on your HD, maybe by the virus, but i've never heard of that, and i don't have any experience with it. Finding the ad aware and spybot S&D uninstall links should let you do it without the control panel area. They should be in the start menu with the programs, but i can't tell since i don't have them installed right now.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:10 PM

Try Malwarebytes,

http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-...4-10804572.html

It's free & will find & remove malware the others don't.

I have just about quit using Spybot S&D since installing Malwarebytes.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:46 AM

I go to the Add/remove programs in the control panel, it is completely empty.

Totally empty or is there the searching flashlight?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 psushelly

psushelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

the control panel is completely empty, not even a flashlight...

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

Try this:
Start / Run / and type; cmd / OK
At the command prompt type: regsvr32 appwiz.cpl (Note the space between 32, and appwiz)
Click the Enter key.
When finished, type; exit.
Click the Enter key.
Reboot, and see if it works now.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users