Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reallocated Sector Count Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dani5015

Dani5015

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

I'm trying to get my dad's laptop cleaned up, up to date, and ready for my mom to start using. After extensive Windows updates, I began receiving the error "SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Drive Disk 2" whenever the laptop was started up or rebooted.

SMART says the problem is with the Reallocated Sector Count, which I've since been trying to study, but I'm a biochemist and understand far more about living things than electronic, heh ^_^ Here's the summary provided by SpeedFan:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your hard disk's S.M.A.R.T. attributes are now being analyzed and a full report about the reliability, health and status of your hard disk is generated:

Error: Reallocated Sector Count has reached its threshold. Current value is 1 and threshold is 36.
According to S.M.A.R.T. specifications, your hard disk is failing and needs to be immediately replaced. Backup your data as soon as possible.

Warning: Reallocated Sector Count reached, in the past, its threshold. Worst value is 1 and threshold is 36.

NOTE : your hard disk has 4280 reallocated sectors (this value is very large and your hard disk should be replaced). Hard disks do have spare sectors (usually from 256 up to 1024) used to replace bad ones. This remapping operation is transparent to the end user. Anyway, this can lead to degradated performances (because remapped sectors are in different places of the disk than the original ones and the head needs additional moving). If reallocated sectors grow over time, you might encounter some serious troubles. A backup of the most important data is suggested anyway.

NOTE : your hard disk has 7 pending sectors. Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to be either low or out of spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

NOTE : your hard disk has 7 offline uncorrectable sectors. Those are sectors that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline scanning is a process that can be automatically started by the hard disk logic when a long enough idle period is detected or that can be forced by some tool. Those unreadable sectors are identified and the hard disk logic is waiting for a write command that will overwrite them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to be either low or out of spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

The overall fitness for this drive is 0%.
The overall performance for this drive is 97%.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question, which I seem to be having trouble finding an answer to on my own, is if there is anything that I can do about this other than backing up my data and saving up for a new hard disk. I'm also curious about the SMART Failure warning being predicted for Hard Drive Disk 2 - I can only assume this is referring to the partition set aside for recovery, though the SpeedFan analysis makes no such distinction. I heard that if the problem is only with the recovery partition, it may be possible to simply never use the recovery function and be okay otherwise.

Any advice or guidance would really be appreciated. Thanks so much for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I suggest using the manufacturer's diagnostic to check the drive, rather than some 3d-party program.

Remove the drive, see who the manufacturer is...and go to that respective website and download...then run the diagnostic tool provided by the hard drive manufacturer.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

You will have to load the diagnostic to either floppy or CD to run...according to instructions provided at the website.

In the event that the diagnostic offers a long/extended test and a short one...run the long test.

The results obtained in this manner will be more valid/conclusive, IMO.

Louis

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

If you don't want to physically remove the HD to get the brand & model download & install PC Wizard ,

http://www.download.com/PC-Wizard-2008/300...4-10793737.html

Install the program & it will identify everything in the unit, including the drives.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:43 AM

SMART failures are based on physical drives, not partitions. The hard drive has run out of unused sectors to remap and data loss has already occurred. Backup whatever data you can/need and replace the hard drive.

Some lappys do indeed have more than one hard drive.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users