Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CA Internet Security's Firewall and Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 countryboypride77

countryboypride77

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

to successfully update. I have included the 3 proper Windows update sites to my CA Internet Security Suite's Firewall. I still can't successfully update Windows. I have been disabling the Firewall and then updating so I am up to date on Windows. I'd like to know how to fix this though so I can leave my Firewall enabled at all times. I also can't solve any problems with my Solutions because of the Firewall. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm operating on Windows Vista 32 bit
DELL Dimension E520

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

While not familiar with your firewall, I suspect the windows update application itself is being blocked, so may have to adjust your settings for permissions. Anything in their (CA firewall) HELP window about Program permissions etc?

Edited by tos226, 18 February 2009 - 07:54 PM.

#3 countryboypride77

countryboypride77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

what do you mean I might have to set the permissions?

I've tried running the Windows Update through my adminstrator's account so I should already have full permissions.

Basicly when windows update is searching a few minutes later it'll come and say it was unable to connect to the internet I can't recall precisely what it says but that's pretty close. I'm at work now and won't get home late so I figured I could throw my problem out there and hopefully can get this fixed. It's rather annoying to have to keep disabling the Firewall. Very frustrating. I'll double check the setting for permissions when I get home. I didn't think I would have to do that on my Administrator's account.

Thanks a lot for your input. It's Greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

#4 countryboypride77

countryboypride77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:22 AM

Okay, I finally got my Windows Update to be successful...basicly I had to go into my Device manager and click on View and choose "hidden devices" and then had to click on one of the items and set it "Demand".

Anyways, it's fixed and I have no other problems with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users