Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator google redirect problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 acemackenzi

acemackenzi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hello all,
Hope I can get help here. I have done 3 other forums trying to solve this problem and to no avail. Okay here goes. When I log onto my computer in my account which is an administrator account and I do a Google search of a topic or any search engine for that matter I get redirected to another search site like yellow pages.com or shopiro. Anyway this is where it gets weird. This only happens in the administrator account, I created a new log on account but made it a limited account I have no problems with the redirection. I have dug through everything I can think of and cannot find this little bug anywhere. I am not exactly computer savvy though. I also do not have the overlay.xul file in my Firefox extension file so it is not that problem. I also cannot access any antispyware websites with my administrator account. I can in my limited account and can download the malwarebytes, spy bot, and superantispyware but they will not run. I am at my wits end to figure this out. Any help would be much appreciated. I have a Dell XPS Media center Edition 2002 with Service pack 3 DX051 Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU, 3.20 GHz, 3.19GHz, 1.00 GB of ram with a 500 GB drive primary and an 80 GB secondary drive that is blank, no OS, wiped it clean due to another virus from IE7 upgrade from IE6. My OS is windows XP. Please tell me someone has an answer?!
A smart man thinks first, then speaks careful words second

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

I would like to try to run Malwarebytes (MBAM). I suspect a TDSS infection here.

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run..

Another work around is by not using the mouse to install it, Just use the arrow keys, tab, and enter keys.

If you cannot use the Internet,you will need access to another computer that has a connection.
From there save mbam-setup.exe to a flash,usb,jump drive or CD. Now transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program.
If you cannot transfer to or install on the infected machine, try running the setup (installation) file directly from the flash drive or CD by double-clicking on mbam-setup.exe so it will install on the hard drive.

Manually Downloading Updates:
Manually download them from HERE and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Alternatively, you can update through MBAM's interface from a clean computer, copy the definitions (rules.ref) located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from that system to a usb stick or CD and then copy it to the infected machine.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users