Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When will Microsoft release Windows 7 Final (not Beta)?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:34 PM

When will Microsoft release the final, non-beta version of Windows 7? I'm planning to buy Windows 7 when it reaches SP1 (unless everyone gives a poitive review on it and no issues are discovered) but I'm just curious when.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

Microsoft probably won't announce the release date until after the results from the RC are in (and it hasn't been released yet).
FWIW - I'm using it on my primary desktop and laptop and haven't experienced any show-stopping issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

But why do some users here in BC report that they are using the final version of Win7 (build 7000)?

#4 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:50 PM

I'll give you two guesses Lloyd However you will only need one

Falsified information

Wild Imaginations
Posted Image

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:56 AM

Build 7000 is not even a recent edition, I know of at least two later builds. Anyway, many speculate that the OS will be released later this year or early next.

3939.png

#6 Chappy333

Chappy333

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:52 AM

Hi

Build 7000 was just the Public release of the Beta program MS is using with W7.
There have also been well over 40 builds since then too, mostly internal builds. MS compiles builds pretty much daily to apply fixes and testing for breakages caused by the fixes.
Build 7022 is the only stable build that leaked out and only the 32bit build so far. Some have (confirmed) build 7032 is out on torrents (beware of course) and build 7048 has also been confirmed as of yesterday, so I guess I should make that 48 builds since 7000 Beta 1 was released publicly.

I think RTM should be this year, possibly shortly after August and I don't think you need to wait the year or so before W7 SP1 to purchase it, this has been the best and most stable release I've used and I've Beta tested for MS since W98. XP was released RTM with 1500 known bugs to fix, Vista with 500. I think Win7 will come in under that 500 mark, probably somewhere in the 350 range and that is an almost unbelievable number for something this complex.

EDIT - Apparently, the leaked 7048 build also contains the RC1 tag!
Official file name is "7048.winmain_win7rc1.090211-1625," which means this build was compiled on Feb 11 2009 at 4:25pm, and is an Main RC1 build.

We could be in for an RC1 release before this month is out and I would think that means an RTM by Spring or early summer....w00t!!

Dave

Edited by Chappy333, 19 February 2009 - 03:01 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:59 AM

Build 7000 is also known as Beta1. It's the version that was released about a month and a half ago.

Basically, Microsoft needs to come out with something by August (as I recall, that's when the 7000 build beta expires) - or face massive public displeasure when their beta copies expire and there's nothing to replace them.

But, in the past they've stated that they want to keep on a 3 year cycle of new OS releases. That brings it somewhere between Nov 2009 and Feb 2010
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:46 PM

My build expires before August. When I type winver in the Start menu, it says "Evaluation Copy. Expires 7/1/2009 6:59 PM"

3939.png

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

Son of a gun! So does mine!
Thanks!

I asked the question over at Microsoft and will (hopefully) have a reply soon.
Last time I asked a question was about the Vista SP1 beta and I still don't have an answer!

Edited by usasma, 19 February 2009 - 07:00 PM.

#10 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

LOL! So does mine :huh:

Chappy, I'm not totally sure but I think the leaked version, Build 7022 might have something to do with IE8 RC.

Anyway, there is still more testing to be done. I don't know if I'll get all of them, but hopefully a couple or more :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#11 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

Hello All!

Apparently, as I see it, the Beta is only available for a limited time. The Release candidate is the next step, set to be possibly released by the end of this month-early next month. Us developers should love to get a taste of the RC. I am thinking early next year, Windows 7 will be officially released. Windows 7 development has been blazing fast lately. I really think that Microsoft picked the ball up.

This is especially true for developing Silverlight. I am almost afraid to say that Microsoft is beating up Adobe in Silverlight vs. Flash. ;)

#12 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

Where did you get the beta version?

#13 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

They do say that the beta is no longer available

#14 Chappy333

Chappy333

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

LOL! So does mine :huh:

Chappy, I'm not totally sure but I think the leaked version, Build 7022 might have something to do with IE8 RC.

Anyway, there is still more testing to be done. I don't know if I'll get all of them, but hopefully a couple or more :huh:

Definitely Jacee!
I believe that's exactly why that build was leaked around to reviewers and a few others. I wish we could get a 64bit of that build

I actually just found out that the build 7048 with the "winmain" and rc1 tag I posted about above, has been proven false. The source was reliable about it being real, but the way the rumors are flying around this OS is unreal and is causing many to try and make fake release screnshots just for Rep or sumthin.

From MS - build 7046 was compiled Feb 17 and they are not yet into the RC branch of builds, but most of us know that this is really close. I guess we also all hope they'll release a copy to us Beta testers....(PleeZe)

Darn..this is one good Beta OS!

BTW, I just checked my winver also and it has changed to 07/01/2009 as well! NOoooooo....don't take a full month away from us!!
I wonder if this is another sign that an RC or RTM release has been moved up the schedule.

Edited by Chappy333, 19 February 2009 - 10:16 PM.

#15 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

BTW, I just checked my winver also and it has changed to 07/01/2009 as well! NOoooooo....don't take a full month away from us!!
I wonder if this is another sign that an RC or RTM release has been moved up the schedule.

I also wonder if this may about more testing (by invitation) for those of us who initially signed up.

I knew that build 7048 with the "winmain" and rc1 tag, was false ...
Some people will grab any bit of news, be it false or whatever to report. Don't fall for it! :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users