Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet access affected in IE, FF, MBAM, and others


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dmslack

dmslack

  • Members
  • 119 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

I originally opened this topic in HJT logs, but there was no infection found:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/201709/unknown-infection-affecting-internet-access/

Basically, Firefox cannot access any sites, IE can access some but not all (I can access cnn.com, bleepingcomputer.com, etc.. but not mail.yahoo.com, calendar.google.com). When I put these sites in the address bar, it actually searches for them in Google. The first result that comes up is for the real site, so I click on it... and then I get a 'could not connect' message from IE.

MBAM and Ad-Aware cannot do automatic updates because there is 'no internet access' (even though there is). Winamp's online services are unavailable for the same reason.

I did a system restore to the oldest available (Feb 5), but this was about the time that the problem really started, so I am not sure that it goes back far enough.

I can access some sites via IE, as I said, and I can make SSH connections out as well. In addition, this is affecting all other users on the PC, but I know the hardware is OK because I dual boot and everything is fine in Linux. We also have other Windows (XP, I have Vista) machines on the network and they are fine.

One more strange thing... trying to boot into "Safe Mode with Networking," I cannot actually get any networking. I can't DHCP an address, and when I try to assign a static, I can't actually connect through the gateway to the Internet (though I can ping IPs on network).

Any ideas on where to start?

Edited by dmslack, 18 February 2009 - 06:05 PM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Ken Meller

Ken Meller

  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

I seem to have similar issues, started around the same time too. It seems like a classic corrupt tcpip stack but i've tried the usual 'netsh winsock reset' to no avail. After boot-up all my apps seem to be ok then one by one they lock up or can't connect. If Firefox locks, I can open IE and use that, other times updates fail or e-mail or Second Life etc.

When Firefox or IE7 fails I can still 'ping bbc.co.uk' even though I can't browse the site.

My problem seems to differ in that all sites are either available or not - there's no pick & choose. It's also happening across three machine (two wired one wi-fi, two Vista, one Win2k).

Only a reboot seems to cure it. I've tried may security products (AVG, Zonealarm in as standard) but various rootkit revealers, MBAM, SAS, Sophos, Kaspersky online scan, Housecall, Spybot Ad-Aware have all been used but reveal nothing.

One or two other things (odd keyboard delays, occasional erratic (slow) mouse movement, apps being reported as having been changed since the last use) all suggest some sort of infection along the lines of Confiker (tried the removal tool) but it's not being detected yet. Maybe this post needs to be relocated, moderator?

I have requested some thought from Tiscali (my ISP) but I don't think that will get me very far (I wondered if my router was corrupting the data stream). Can routers be reprogrammed by viruses?

Sorry, this is no help to you dmslack but at least two of us think something funny(not) is going on - maybe others too have been here before (or are still here) and we can start to rule things out.

Ken

#3 dmslack

dmslack
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 119 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

Wish I could say a reboot or a restore helped. Mine is the same behavior no matter what... and I know it's not my router because the other machines are all fine... bummer, though..

#4 Ken Meller

Ken Meller

  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

Have you tried 'netsh winsock reset' (assuming that you are on XP SP2 or above)?

#5 CW1

CW1

  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

Do you have Blue Coat K9 protection installed?
A few ppl have disabled theirs and now everything works again, same for me!

Try it!

#6 dmslack

dmslack
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 119 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions... I don't have Blue Coat K9 installed, and I have tried the winsock reset to no avail.

#7 dmslack

dmslack
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 119 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

Ok, well... turns out it was remnants of the trial of Symantec anti-virus that came with my PC. It was fine until the program (Firefox, IE, Winamp) updated, and then it no longer allowed them to run properly. I had to uninstall the current antivirus and run the "Norton Removal Tool" to get up and running again. Looks good so far!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users