Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery of Outlook 2003 pst file

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:28 PM

First and foremost I've made a bit of a schoolboy error. Over the weekend I was repairing my mother-in-law's PC (she was having problems with her user profile, slow to load, missing icons etc) I happly deleted her user profile. Initially I thought this to be 'not a problem' as all she uses her acient PC is for borwsing the net and email. I'd backed up her IE favorites and everything in her 'My Documents', all I would have to do would be to create a new user profile, set her destop to how it was copy over the IE favs and My Docs and job done, only then did I realise that if she logged into Outlook 2003 her email and settings would be lost.

Am I right in thinking they're lost forever or can her orginal pst file be recovered and restored?

Cheers in advance.

Software in question:
O/S: Winxp Home
Email: Outlook 2003
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:03 PM

I don't know where M$ might hide it other than the usual location which I suspect got deleted
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAMEisHERE>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

No backups? Could it still be in the Recycle bin, I hope for you!

Now, if the mail is also held on the ISP server, i.e. wasn't being deleted everytime it was pushed to Outlook, then after setting the account, when you run Outlook, all the mails can come back in, at least the incoming part. What was sent is gone.

#3 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

I have a couple of thoughts but they are probably long shots at this point.

Try a search with explorer from the root directory of the drive using a wild card for all possible file names for pst files. An asterik is a wild card for all files names. Sometimes users create manual back ups in different places with a different file name. Outlook will normally create it's own backups that will be located through this search also.

Example

search from root directory c:\
search for *.pst

Another long shot would be to use a file recovery program like Recuva. It is excellent software for recovering deleted files on a hard drive that I used to recovery files many times. The downside is that it should be run immediately after deleting a file as Windows will eventually overwrite the deleted file. I would try it as it is possible that the file may not have been overwritten yet.

Good Luck

#4 tech_tiger

tech_tiger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:59 AM

Hello,

Once i deleted 10 files at a time which were not required at that time. After some time that files were required urgently.. I googe out and found effective deleted file recovery software. I downloaded the evaluation version of the software and perform the recovery process. All the deleted files were turned out with this software... So i would like to suggest you to use Deleted File recovery software to recover your deleted file, whether it's outlook file, word file, image file etc...

#5 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:09 AM

I never download trial version software that I do not want to buy when there are excellent free applications available. The only time I would download a trial version application is when there are no good free applications available and I intend to buy it if it works on my particular system. Every time you download a program there are risks involved. I found out this the hard way and I have learned to check my sources very carefully first. I do know that Recuva is free, highly regarded by many and I have used it many times successfully for months. There are many other good free file recovery applications available in addition to Recuva that others can recommend.

Here is a link to Recuva
http://www.recuva.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users