Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rocket2247

rocket2247

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

I recently purchased a new computer because my last one had crashed. I was hoping that someone could help me by telling me what programs I should have on my computer and how to run them effectively in order to keep my computer safe. From talking to friends, they have said that there are plenty of good programs out there that are free. If anyone could help that would be great. If needed, I can post what the specs are on the computer I purchased.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

Everyone will be different. There are many good ones, for free, posted here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I personally use Comodo firewall, AVG A-V, Spyware blaster and Spyware Guard.
On-Demand malware scanners are Malwarebytes and Suprantispyware

[/list]Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for infection:
• "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
• "How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
• "Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
• "IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings" - "How to Secure Your Web Browser".

• Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software, crack sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smrgsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid these types of web sites and not use any P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.

Edited by garmanma, 18 February 2009 - 06:18 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 rocket2247

rocket2247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the help. Do I use Comodo in additon to the Windows firewall or do I disable the Windows one? Also, My last computer crashed after a power outage. Are there any good surge protectors out there or do I need to get a UPS. Also I leave the computer on all day. Is that bad? Should I put it in sleep mode or do I need to turn it off when I am done using it. Thanks again for all of the help.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:29 AM

Comodo will automatically deactivate the Windows Firewall upon installation. I've always had a surge protector in case of power failures and I've never had a problem. It should be standard equipment and they don't cost a lot of money. There was a brief power failure here on Sunday and other than irritating me because I was writing on my blog at the time, it booted right up. I prefer to shut down my computer completely but to each his own.

Edited by frankp316, 19 February 2009 - 11:32 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

Do I use Comodo in additon to the Windows firewall

Whatever you choose, you should only run one A-V and one firewall.
Some will automatically close the Windows firewall and some will not. double-check to be sure
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users