Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Normal start up, but 15min delay on some program responses

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jin805

Jin805

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

I have just recently been helped by one of your great Malware techs in removing a plethora of viruses .. but after clean up my computer seems to be having some issues on start up. Mind you I highly doubt its related to Malware since we manage to remove every bit of it from my computer.

When windows start everything seems fine. Everything looks to load up nice and clean and fast, but when I go to start certain programs (like windows security settings, Trillian, Adobe, and other applications) nothing will happen. After about 15 minutes it appears that my computer finishes loading something (like it was stuck on something) and then I have free range to everything I couldn't open before and everything works fine after that.

Any suggestions?

-Cameron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

IMO...the problem with many malware removals is that...removal of malware files often fails to undo the impact those files have had on the system or other files in the system. It's kind of like catching a thief...after he/she has sold everything you own...the damage has been done and will remain after removal of the culprit.

Bear in mind that I am no expert on malware or anything else computer-related...just stating observations of others' problematical situations over the years that I've been participating in various forums.

Probably the best thing to try...would be a repair install of XP. Depending on your system and model, that may not be an attractive suggestion for you...but that's the way that I would go if I were ever seriously infected and had my system crippled as an effect of such.

If that fails to solve it, I'd pull out one of my backups and install it...or just do a clean install of XP.

You might want to take a look in Kelly's Korner Website - http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm for something that might fit your situation (Tweaks button)...nothing to lose but a little time.

Have you run chkdsk /r and defragged the system since the malware was removed?

Louis

#3 Jin805

Jin805
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

I will try and locate my XP disc in case I need to do a repair or new install *cringe*

I will also look into some other solutions. About your theory, before we went through the steps of removing the gang of Malware, my computer had no problems booting up. It wasn't until after wards it started doing this silly delay crap.

And no i haven't tried to defrag it or run scandisk. I will definitely try that as my first step.

#4 Jin805

Jin805
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

So I went to run checkdisk and got...

Posted Image

and since I'm not to familiar with checkdisk or similar programs I didn't continue with it.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

Well...as I said, I'm certainly no authority on malware and the effects thereof...it seems to me that some of the procedures involved in eliminating/removing malware lend themselves to creating possible corruption/damage to files.

I can't speak to that, but I'm sure that some of the persons here who are more familiar with dealing with malware...can clarify that particular suspicion of mine.

I think of it this way...if Windows can develop corrupt/damaged files in the course of normal, routine functioning...it seems likely that corruption/damage can occur when an invader is being rooted out. File corruption can be caused by many known factors...and we don't know all the reasons why such occurs.

Louis

#6 Jin805

Jin805
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:31 PM

Yeah that makes sense. I guess we will just wait and see what a tech thinks about his =)

Thank you for your 2 cents though.

-Cameron

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:31 PM

No problem, you did the right thing...it's always better to stop when in doubt :thumbsup:.

You want to run the chkdsk /r command, which can be run several different ways.

Since your system boots, the easy thing to do is:

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

When that screen comes up, type Y and hit Enter. That's a standard screen which only notifies a user that chkdsk /r cannot be run immediately, since XP is open. XP must be closed for the command to execute.

Reboot the system and the chkdsk /r will run before the system reboots into XP. Time that it will take to run will vary with necessity and size of the C: partition.

FWIW: Chkdsk Explained, Understanding What Chkdsk Does - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835/EN-US/ AND How to Understand and Use Chkdsk in Windows XP - http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm

Louis

#8 Jin805

Jin805
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

So I seemed to have found the problem. It would appear that I had some Lexmark Printer processes that were trying to load up. Funny thing is I don't own a Lexmark printer so, I killed the processes deleted the files and removed the registry info. Now everything is booting up like it used too =)

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:08 PM

Well done :thumbsup:.

Lexmark printers (in my experience) tend to always leave processes running (notably lexbces) and various reg entries when uninstalled properly. Actually, I suspect that all printers do, but I'm more familiar with using Lexmark printers.

I would still keep an eye on the systemt for a few days...happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users