Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too much down-speed causes connectivity issues?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cadoc

Cadoc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:27 PM

I'm having an issue where if my download speed stays at a consistent high rate, my internet will drop and i'll get the "limited or no connectivity" problem. Three tests I have done to confirm this:

1. Running MSN live video call with someone, sometimes while streaming a video on Firefox.

2. Running bittorrent with the bandwidth set to wide open, letting speeds get up to 150 Kbps consistently.

3. Letting my PC stay on all day, connected to broadband.

The first test only causes the issue sometimes.
The second test causes the issue consistently.
The third test causes NO problem.

My set up is a HP dv6000 special edition laptop (vista, 2.00 ghz athlon X2, 3 gb ram) connected directly to the isp's modem, no router is involved. I've spoken to my isp and they say that they do not limit my bandwidth usage. If anyone has any idea on what is going on, i'd appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

Depending on which torrent application you are using, you may want to check the maximum number of connections made available. I had a similar issue while using uTorrent, and discovered that my Max Connections were set to something like 150. This number of simultaneous connections seems to cause havoc with routers, etc. If you limit the number of max connections to 50 or fewer, you may see a difference with your connectivity issues. It shouldn't have too much negative effect, if any, on your overall download speeds.

Hope this helps.

Kang

Edited by Commander_Kang, 20 February 2009 - 09:05 PM.

...Soon, they will make a board with a nail so big, it will destroy them all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users