Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IDE/SATA to USB cable problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

I bought one of those IDE/SATA to USB adapters so I could get data off an old hard drive and format it and use it as a backup drive. I need to retrieve the data before I format the drive. Problem is my computer won't recognize the drive. The adapter shows up in device manager but the drive that is connected to it does not show up anywhere, even if I go to my computer/manage to try to assign it a drive letter. I have a Dell E520 running XP SP3. The HDD I'm trying to access is an IDE drive. On the bootup screen it state that this system supports only SATA devices but because it's installed through a USB port that I figured that would not matter. I've tried it w/the jumper on slave and master but it made no difference. It's a WD drive. The adapter came w/ no instructions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

Make sure power is hooked up correctly. Most don't have power switches, but some of the hard drive adapter power supplies have power switches that aren't that evident. USB recognizes the adapter, OK. Since it is a WD, have you tried leaving the jumper off completely? You should not have to do anything after the drive is recognized, it is just portable storage to XP and you should be able to rip the files off of it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

No switch, powers up as soon as you plug it in. You can hear it spinning. Tried removing the jumper, still doesn't show up.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

Out of ideas. I just plug it in (the power), let the drive spin up, then plug the USB into the computer and go.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

Is the drive known to be working correctly?

an old hard drive

How old is it? I don't know just where the cutoff point is, but I've found older IDE drives that simply don't work with an IDE/USB adapter.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 bob-E

bob-E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

Not sure how old the drive is but was working when last used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users