Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Novatel Wireless Ovation modem randomly deactivates during use

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 OmegaWolf747

OmegaWolf747

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:17 AM

Toshiba Satellite X205-S7483, Windows Vista Home Premium x86 SP1, Novatel Wireless Ovation modem by Slingshot Wireless Broadband plugged into main USB port on left side of laptop

Simply put, I will be online surfing, checking email, IMing, or just sitting idle for a few minutes and the modem's green LED will stop blinking and I will receive the hardware unplugged notification as if I had unplugged it from the USB port. I then have to physically remove and reinsert the modem to reinitialize it. The "unplugs" (for lack of a better term) happen completely randomly. I have gone as long as two days without one and at worse, they occur every five minutes.

The first thing I did was move the modem from one of the secondary USB ports on the right to one of the two primaries on the left. This got rid of the problem for perhaps a day. After that, I went into Device Manager and unchecked the option in the Novatel Modem's properties to allow Windows to deactivate USB devices to save power. This resolved the problem for two days before the unplugs started again. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem and its Connection Manager software. I have uninstalled the USB root hubs from Device Manager and allowed Windows to redetect and reinstall them upon rebooting. This stopped the problem for about six hours yesterday.

I can't think of anything more to do about it, as the software and drivers are said to be up-to-date by Device Manager. Does anyone else out there have this modem and service and maybe know a registry hack that could keep the modem from unplugging itself, or should I just face facts that I got a defective modem?

Thank you in advance.

What is this Internet you speak of?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users