Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Pacific Tower Case

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 elomont

elomont

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:09 AM

In my quest to become more knowledgeable in the computer world I have been getting old computer towers donated to me and I've been rummaging through, tinkering with and updating various machines running different versions of Windows.

This tower is running Windows 98. It works fine and is now going through the process that I mentioned above. It even has the old style 5 pin Din connector for the keyboard.

It also has a digital display on the front of the case that has read 300 since start up. I've done some Google searches (I.E. Digital readout on old Pacific computer tower) and have come up empty handed. Just wondering if anyone knows what the readout signifies? Wattage being drawn? Some sort of self test readout? Just curious.

One other question.....When responding to another person's post on BC, how do you copy and paste what they wrote so that it shows up as a "quote" window?

Thanks guys.

Edited by elomont, 18 February 2009 - 06:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:17 AM

Hi elomont

From what you have described (old style 5 pin Din connector for the keyboard), this PC has an AT motherboard. This was the form factor of motherboards until the late 90's. Modern motherboards tend to be ATX or a varient of ATX.
I seem to recall that the older PCs with AT motherboards had a Turbo Switch which allowed you to change the clock speed of your CPU. These PCs would also have a display to show what mode or speed the CPU was running in. I'm guessing that the display on you PC is something to do with that.
If you find a switch marked "Turbo" try operating it to see if the display changes. Operating the switch while the PC is running will not cause it any harm.

One other question.....When responding to another person's post on BC, how do you copy and paste what they wrote so that it shows up as a "quote" window?

In the reply box you will see some formatting buttons at the top. The one that looks like a speech bubble is the one to use for quotes. Copy the required text, press the button and then paste the text between the two bracketed tags. :thumbsup:
Steve

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:37 AM

You can also just wrap the text being quoted in BBCode. Use the open bracket ([) and follow immediately with the word quote and the place the close bracket immediately after (]). At the end of the text use the open bracket and then follow it with a forward slash (/), then quote, then close bracket. The parenthesis are not used in BBCode.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

The display could have also been to monitor various temperatures
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

or the Mghz of the cpu
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

Those displays are usually configured by jumpers. If that's the case for yours, there will be a crapload of jumpers on the back of the display. Here's the general idea...

http://www.amsky.com/%7Ecirkuit/comptips/speddisp.html

If configured by jumpers, the 300 display you mention won't change by itself.

#7 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

there will be a crapload of jumpers on the back of the display

I never looked at the display that closely to recognize them as jumpers, but indeed they are just that.

If you find a switch marked "Turbo" try operating it to see if the display changes. Operating the switch while the PC is running will not cause it any harm.

If you follow the wiring from the back of display it goes directly back to the power supply with a small branch that goes to the fan mounted on the heatsink. Again, I'm new at this, but I would have thought it would lead directly to something on the motherboard.

skiplc I will try to wrap my head around that link later tonight.

I'll try to remember to keep you updated if I find anything more associated with it. I need to look for a 5pin Din connector to a PS/2 cable so that I can actually use a keyboard with this specific tower and some other odds and ends (memory) for some of the other towers I have.

Thank you SLIX. As you can see I figured out the quote thing.

Until next time.

Edited by elomont, 18 February 2009 - 03:27 PM.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

You can also just click the "Quote" button at the bottom of someone's post. It'll open the new post editor with that person's quote already in the box and formatted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users