Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having troubles with browsers not responding, not closing properly

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:51 AM

Hello,
I have been having trouble with my browsers (Latest Firefox and IE) not closing properly when I close them. The screen will close, but the process still shows up in task manager. Also, if the computer has been idle for more than a few minutes, I cannot open the web browsers at all. When I try to access task manager by pressing ctrl alt del after this happens, I get an error message saying something like, "Logon failed to create security options dialog" and the only way to get the system working again is to hold the power button down to shut it off, then restart it, which risks damaging my hard drives.
I am running Vista, with all the available updates on a Quad core I built myself with 1.5Tb hard drive space total, and 4Gigs of RAM, so memory isn't a problem. I have tried running several virus/adware/malware scans which found nothing unusual, and have even wiped my hard drives and reinstalled Vista. I posted a HJT log a month or two ago, right before I reinstalled, which appearantly didn't find any viruses or trojans. I was running ZoneAlarm and Avast, and have since switched anti-virus to AVG in the hopes that would help, but to no avail.
I have also searched on the internet, and found many people with the same or similar problems, but no solutions, or at least none that have worked for me. I am hoping that there is still something I have missed, and that perhaps someone here can help me to fix this issue before my hard drives are damaged or I have to find a copy of XP to install.
If any of you have any ideas, I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users