Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Itself Down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kmorris_99

kmorris_99

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:44 PM

Hello. I am running Windows XP Home Edition. In the last two weeks the computer has taken to shutting itself off. At the very beginning of reboot it gives me a message that says that the system was shut down due to a thermal event. It has had no problems restarting until the last two days, but now it usually takes several attempts for it to reboot. I have not installed any new software. I suspect that the cooling fun on the mother board may have died? I have placed a small fan in the rear of the tower but that does not seem to have helped. How do I check to see if the cooling fan has died? Should I not be running the computer at all until I get it fixed? Thank you for any suggestions!

Kelly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:15 AM

if it says it is shutting down due to a thermal event I would say it is overheating and shutting itself off in order to keep itself from frying internally. are you running a laptop or desktop? if desktop It might be advisable to pop the cover off and use a can of compressed air (designed for cleaning computers, can be found at wal-mart or computer stores) and blow the inside out, to much dust can cause this issue. to be sure this is the problem, some computers have a place in the bios that tells you the CPU and system temperatures if the computer in question has them. Coretemp is a software program you can run in windows to monitor CPU temperature, provided the equipment has the sensors and is new enough to support coretemp-since I dont know what kind of hardware your running I couldnt tell you if it would work or not. I know it does not work with older socket 478 motherboards. you might just have to download it and try it. if not that, speedfan seems to work good as well and seems to run on older systems fairly easy.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:17 AM

also, when you have the cover off the computer, turn it on-if the heatsink fan has failed it will not spin or will spin very slowly. if its working it will spin and spin very fast, u will hear a healthy whirrrr. and If that is indeed the problem I would not run it at all till u get it fixed, and if the fan is working I would not use it except to try and diagnose the problem.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:12 AM

Click here to see a tutorial for cleaning a hp zv5000.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users