Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot drive switch causes problems

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 16 August 2004 - 05:03 PM

Last night I was transferring my boot drive to the
smaller of the 2 drives I have, since I had all the
bugs worked out nicely and about 35 installed
applications that work well together and like the fast
defrag that having the OS and programs on a 12 GB
partition of a smallest drive delivers...
Whoops...didn't know to shut my system restore off
before I did and now the system restore doesn't work.

To make matters worse, the original OS setup on the
120 GB drive that still worked right, I erased
(re-formattted) since it was a duplication now on a
boot drive...therefore optional so I couldn't reverse
my moves to correct the problem I didn't know about
yet.

So, looks like if I want my sysyem restore feature
back, it'll mean reloading a fresh OS write...with the
updates...and

I've got hundreds of bookmarks in Firefox, dozens of
passwords, etc. that I need to back-up before I do it.

Here are the screenshots of that error and another that resulted in my compromised OS operation.

system restore error
office install error

If anyone has a better answer than to start fresh, I'm open to suggestions. :thumbsup:

Best info I could find suggests that since the system restore monitors all drives when on, and in the procedure you are re-formating one of those drives (and wiping data in doing so), by choosing to transfer the boot drive to the newly prepared one without shutting off system restore first, you end up preventing it's initialization once the boot drive files are in the new location.

As far as the Office 2000 not installing, thats never happened before. I was responding to the fact that after the move of data, word docs wouldn't open and the error code was the one that states "you need to install "this" to read a file of this kind"

Edited by phawgg, 16 August 2004 - 05:38 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 August 2004 - 05:15 PM

Sure what your going to want to do is stick in your cd reboot and do a repair. That way it will save all your stuff and fill in the blanks! It wont erase anything dont worry. Just make sure you do a repiar install not a FULL install...

Edit wow phawgg are you typing a novel lol

:thumbsup:

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2004 - 10:48 PM

Brunt, a novel I could sell, my problems I can't give away. :flowers:

The repair didn't work. Neither problem. A new one was created, inability to connect to the ISP.

I have a fresh install of winxp pro on drive 1
I have the previous install, its flaws, all non-MS programs & all user data on drive 2

I simply ignored the caution re: unsigned drivers to install the modem driver (it always does that for me) off the supplied CD. I manually setup the ISP connect. I opened IE after makin' sure the ICF was enabled. I manually logged on here at BC after a quick google search.

I tried to post twice, got about this far and each time the screen blacks, my machine re-boots and displays the error msg: " your PC just encountered a big problem. Let Microsoft know about it" (my paraphrase, I have a sceenshot of it for posterity)

This time, I disconnected power only from the 2nd HDD before tryin' again.
I persist at posting because at this point I'd like to hear some feedback.

One thing is the reduction of unneeded files that you mentioned brought your OS to around 900 MB's. The other is slip-streaming. With a fresh install, once I redo all the updates, I want the whole package together in one place. Nothin' else on my primary (boot) drive. Just the basics.

Rather than push my luck, I'll end.

The End.
phawgg :thumbsup:

#4 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 August 2004 - 10:51 PM

have you updated your modem driver? And the repiar install didnt work? HMM that usually always helps al least to save what you want! Let me lookat it all again! As for bringing your os down to 900 mb's takes alot of work and alot of trial by error lol! One wrong right click delete and reformat time! I will give you all the details! But somthing else is going on if you tried a repiar and it didnt work to install the msinstaller again!

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2004 - 11:02 PM

No update on the modem driver, using the one out of the box that came with my cheap little 56kbps 6 months ago. I'm at a self-imposed bare minimum with a lot of CD's full of stuff to reload in a sequence. Next step, after this pause, is to download 47 updates from MS, and anxiously await the SP2 with all the rest of the non-IT professionals in the world. :thumbsup:

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 August 2004 - 11:08 PM

ya but this way you cann have a signed driver! Go to the manufatures website and look for an update on your modem driver. Aint going to fix anything but it aint going to break it either!

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2004 - 11:13 PM

Thats on my sequence list. Its truly amazing how many details one does over the period of a month to customize a system. Operating without any of the downloads, on IE only is kinda like goin' bankrupt and startin' over. :thumbsup:

BTW, www.lectron.com is the manufacturer's site. Naturally I get: "The page can not be displayed" msg when trying to connect to it. :flowers:

Edited by phawgg, 16 August 2004 - 11:26 PM.

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 12:23 AM

So I go to Windows Update. 52 critical, 24 winxp, 2 driver updates. I choose 2 driver updates... Advanced Micro Devices from 12-17-02 & Nvidia from 3-26-04. After removing all 50 of the prerequisites, I down & install 'em. Reboot is required, which yields in an interupt at the BIOS screen... Disk Boot Failure. Insert system disk and press Enter.

No, I know the primary slave isn't working. Power off. Restart.

the msg I paraphrased earlier:

The system has recovered from a serious error. A log has been created. Please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error report you can send to help us improve Microsoft Windows. We will treat this report as confidential & anonymous. Click here to see the report. Send. Don't Send.

As usual, the message makes me pause & think about...hmmmm. They've created an error report to help themselves. They'll treat it kinda like it never happened, as far as the user's position in the matter is concerned. Hmmmm.

I'll ponder it. :thumbsup:

#9 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:54 AM

How do you have yoiur bios set to startup? Sound like you have it setup to boot off of a folppy? Go into bios then advanced bios settings let me knwo what it says in the exact order! Was the promary slave working before this happend? It could all just be a jumper problem. Or your power supply is dying on you. Could be many things. But sinc eit is asking for a disk For now it seems like a bios problem not booting in the right sequence!

#10 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:43 PM

Disk Boot Failure. Insert system disk and press Enter

This is because I unplugged the 2nd HDD. (power to it only)

The system has recovered from a serious error. A log has been created. Please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error report you can send to help us improve Microsoft Windows. We will treat this report as confidential & anonymous. Click here to see the report. Send. Don't Send.

This was a problem identified in 2002 and corrected by one of the updates. That msg was showing on all re-boots in win xp.

Sound like you have it setup to boot off of a folppy?

Ist Boot...floppy (I have a win98 boot floppy disk)
2nd Boot...HDD 0
3rd Boot...CD-RW

I have retained this boot sequence throughout my use of the machine. For a year I dual booted, one HDD with win98, one with winxp pro. As you probably know, winxp will not accept any other OS on the same drive (or even installing another in it's presence). My dual-booting was done interupting the boot at BIOS (tapping delete), and reconfiguring the boot sequence when I wanted win98 instead of winxp. Winxp is more prone to internet problems than win98 in some folk's opinion. I found so also, in the beginning, as I was learning. Kept my machine's winxp side outta the picture.

Now I want to slipstream winxp pro and have Linux as an option, from HDD. Until I feel competent, I plan on using devil-linux ofF CD. It takes time to learn by trial and error. lol

Could be many things.

2 things are likely to be contributing. The system restore functionality was fried in the boot drive swap. My efforts to restore it to normal were probably no help. The Office Suite problem...who knows? The whys and wherefores are the stuff of years of corporate thinking vs. individuals explorations both good & bad, I presume. With a fresh install, normalcy in all regards has been restored... after 12 hours of downloads & installs. The other was how I treated the 2nd drive...
Isolating the flawed OS with all it's programs and it's download files folder just seemed sensible until I could systematically retrieve only that which I wanted to carry forward to the fresh PrimaryHDD. Thats my next step. I just finished configuring the services. 16 that winxp automatically starts I don't need. As many or more can just as well be disabled as set on manual.

you can disable this one phawgg  msmsgs.exe

yeah, I don't use the Messenger. The other two are not needed at startup, either.

Startup management & services management are closely tied, and it has taken me quite a few hours of study, and trial & error, to sift through the 89 that winxp has. Others added, like the "nVivia driver's helper service" with it's startup process are often quasi-bogus, really optional, and those $8.00 modem apps, too. When you add in 100's of modified ones by malware designers like at the "startup list dictionary site" its easy to say...Sc**w This! and get discouraged. I've found Black Viper's up-to-date information concise and helpful.

All that to say, I rather like starting over and taking the time to monitor things with my new understandings. It's better than watching a scan identify 250,000 objects in registry and recommending 168 deletions and seeing things go from 18,000 files to 118,000 with just anti-spyware, anti-virus & system monitor apps on the drive. Eh?

Let me know your thoughts on reduction of OS files & slip-streaming if you have some time. I've got plenty to do, but would like to implement some improvements to my techniques before throwin' 95GB's of files back in. :thumbsup:

#11 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:49 PM

Ok you need to change the boot sequecne back!! Your using xp now

Ist Boot...floppy (I have a win98 boot floppy disk)
2nd Boot...HDD 0
3rd Boot...CD-RW

To 1st Boot hdd 0
2nd Boot Cd
3rd Floppy

Disk Boot Failure. Insert system disk and press Enter

This means you have a wrong disc in there or no disc in the floppy drive!!!!!
It has nothing to do with unplugging your hard drive!! I will Look over it more just wanted to get that out of the way!

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:13 PM

Go into bios then advanced bios settings let me knwo what it says in the exact order!

Anti-virus...enabled
External cache...enabled
Quick Boot...enabled
1st Boot...HDD-0
2nd Boot...CD-ROM
3rd Boot...Floppy
Boot other device...enabled
Swap Floppy...disabled
Seek Floppy...enabled
Bootup Num-lock...on
Gate a20 Option...Fast
Typematic Rate Setting...disabled
Typematic Rate chars/sec...6
Typematic Delay (m/sec)...250
Security Option...set-up
APIC Function...enabled
MPS Table Version...1.4
Boot OS/2 for Dram>64MB...no

This isn't labeled "advanced" exactly, but is it what you were lookin' for?

#13 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:16 PM

Now plug in your other drive and let it loose... See if it was just your boot order.. Did you change the boot order?

#14 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:27 PM

Heck yeah, Col. I wouldn't ignore an order. That is the order you gave me. 1,2,3.
BTW, what's that "boot other device...enabled? It's not a landmine is it? :flowers:

edit:
I have plugged it in and let it loose! No explosion. When I opened my eyes to take a peek, I see all is well in My Computer. :thumbsup:
  • C:\ 38.2GB...34.7GB Free
  • D:\ 38.1GB...34.7GB Free
  • E:\ 38.1GB...37.4GB Free
  • F:\ 38.1GB...36.6GB Free
Boot sequence is faster, too. :trumpet:

Edited by phawgg, 17 August 2004 - 10:58 PM.

#15 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:00 AM

Alright phawgg! Glad to see it working. Sorry didnt see it sooner :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users