Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

task bar icons not working or disappearing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beatia

beatia

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

Hi, my shortcut icons in the taskbar (near the start button on XP) either don`t work when i click on them or they disappear altogether and i only have raised bumps when i put the mouse pointer over where they used to be.
When i run combofix this fixes the problem until next time. Do i have a virus or malware that my virus programes can`t find? I have AVG, Spybot, a-squared, FSBL and Spyware Terminator.

If anyone knows what the problem is i would appreciate the help
ThankYou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:21 AM

Hi Beatia, and welcome to BleepingComputer,

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

This could be either a infection or a software problem, I would suggest try using System Restore, choose a date prior to this problem.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.
The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore, you may get the message telling you that you will have to restart your computer to start, click ok. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

If this doesn't resolve this then it will be time to move this topic to the Am I Infected forum.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:05 AM

:flowers:

Right click on Tool Bar, select Properties and unselect Hide inactive icons, it is down the bottom. That should fix it,

:thumbsup:

#4 beatia

beatia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:58 AM

Thanks to those who replyed, i will give your advice a try :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users