Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is this possable?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 theblueghost

theblueghost

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:47 PM

OK i am about to move into a new house and the high speed Internet(bell south DSL)
will be coming into the office where the will be 2 computers wired to the wireless router(i know this much). Then in my room i want to run 2 more computers and my xbox. my question is with the router in the office can i put a access point in my room and hook a switch to it and go to all 3 devices, if so what would u recommend, i am a netgear fan myself but open to new ideas, also the rooms will be about 50 ft. and 1 floor up.

--- means wired

computer 1 --- \/ wireless \/ ---computer3
wireless router==========access point---switch(or hub)
computer2 --- /\ about 50 ft and one floor /\ ---computer4
/\ ---------xbox
also there will be a wireless laptop in the mix but mostly in my room

thanks for any help

sorry had to post again it did not keep my spacing properly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 theblueghost

theblueghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:48 PM

still didnt keep my spacing properly, hope that you get the idea, please remove my other post since its a repeat

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:14 AM

Sorry I can't make head or tail of your diagram but the description sounds fine - wireless access point upstairs with switch attached. The only problem could be connection - depending on what the building is made of but its reasonably close so there's a good chance.

I like netgear stuff too but you will get the best results if you match brand and type with the wireless router.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 theblueghost

theblueghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:33 AM

ok that soudns good, i was thinking of going witht the netgrea range max as the router, what should i use as the matching access point? will a reg. g access point be good enough you think?

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:46 PM

I really cannot tell, I have no experience of going between floors with wireless networks but I have read they are not optimised for vertical shifts. The Rangemax version is supposed to deal with obstacles and building blackspots so it will be your best chance.
Again I've only read a 'blurb' on the rangemax router which said they work fine with g standard wireless gear but in really difficult cases you will need a rangemax NIC or WAP.
My guess is it will be fine with a standard WAP, but it depends on the structure of the building.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 theblueghost

theblueghost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:54 AM

ok sounds good a little trail and error, thanks for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users