Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rayshel

rayshel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

hey guys,

am working on this computer but i same to cant get the display screen to come up but the computer same to be powering up and i took out the hard drive and it works in another pc very well.... but there is this flicking noise coming from the cdrom and the power light is red what does this means????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

the lights are probably fine. Just check connections.

I'm guessing you've got some problem between your monitor and your video card. Is the connector going to the video card or the motherboard? Also, if you can change the monitor cord, and see if thats the problem. Dust could get in the connectors and cause a problem, or just the cord could be dying.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 rayshel

rayshel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

i no its nothing wrong with the monitor becuz its working find..... am wondering if its the on board video thats given me the problem??... but am wondering why does the cdrom keep clickin and when i disconnect the cable it stop...

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:13 PM

Was the problem that prompted you to work on it that it wouldn't post ?

Was it working & refused to start when it was turned on ?
Do you know if it has a video card or onboard video ?

A couple of things to try,

Make sure it is off & unplug it.
Press the power button after it's unplugged to desipate any stored electricity.
Open the case
Remove the memory sticks & reinstall them
If it has a add-in video card make sure it is seated in the slot properly.

Try it.

If you still get no display try this,
Make sure it is off & unplug it.
Press the power button after it's unplugged to desipate any stored electricity.
Open the case
Look around the motherboard battery for a jumper to clear the CMOS
Move the jumper to clear the CMOS
Wait a minute & put it back in it's original posistion
If you can't find a jumper remove the battery for a minute then put it back on.
Try it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 rayshel

rayshel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

to be honest with you fairjoeblue i tried all of this and nothing same to work but i use the montior on a regular so i no thats working find.... its an on board video am working with at the moment.... would the on board video cause a problem with the cdrom makin the clicking noises?

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

What make/model is the computer ?

How did the problem start ?

What color is the CD light usually ?
You mention it being red, is it normally red when you use it ?

From what you are describing there is a strong possibility that you have 1 orf 3 problems or a combination of 2 .

1. The power supply has failed.
2. The CPU has failed.
3. The motherboard has failed.

Unfortunatly there is no way to troubleshoot the problem unless you have known good spare parts.

It is possible for the onboard video to fail but the only way you can eliminate that possibility is to install a video card & try it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

I would take the motherboard out of the case. Place it on a cardboard box, away from other metal objects. Put only the processor and the heatsink fan on it (don't forget thermal paste), and one stick of ram. Now, make all your connections from the power supply (4-pin cpu, 20/24 pin motherboard) You don't need a cd drive or a hard drive connected for the computer to at least power up and display an image on the screen.

Now to start the computer without the button on the case, you'll need to take a screwdriver and touch the two pins for the power connection from the case would plug into. Touch both with the screwdriver at the same time. If this isn't a custom built computer, it may have a unique type of power connection. See if you can position the case so you can get the cables to reach the motherboard, then use the button like you normally would.

Let us know how it goes!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users