Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 flo_cat

flo_cat

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

Hi,

I run PC Pitstop's Scan fairly regularly. I like that they give you instructions on how to care for problems manually, even though they sell programs that can do the adjustments for you.

However, I am a little bit frustrated as they said that I need new drivers for my video card and audio card. I did a search for the drivers they listed as updated, and one did not match the Windows logo verification process (and I was warned that this could have very bad results), and neither showed up on the manufacturers' sites. It seems that the only way I can get updated drivers is to pay for PC Pitstop's Driver update program.

Anyone have any input??

FloCat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:47 AM

The old adage applies here, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

PC Pitstop contains a registry clean which we don't endorse the use of here at BC. The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:22 AM

An experienced gamer is the expert in this field and they also reload their computers often if needed, they build their own.

I agree with dc3

Even worse go to windows updates and let them pick a driver for you

Edited by DaChew, 18 February 2009 - 04:22 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users