Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kinggw23

kinggw23

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:34 PM

I have noticed since installing Win 7 that my wireless internet connection fluxuates constantly. When I was on Vista SP1, my connection stayed at 54 mbps. Now it will go from 11 mbps to 36 to 48 to 5.5 mbps back to 36 constantly. My computer is in the same place, router in same place, no changes to anything except installing Win 7. Any ideas??? Thanks
Dell Dimension E520
750GB HD 4GB Ram
ATI Readeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit

Dell Inspiron 1501
80gb HD 2gb Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

How did you install your wireless drivers? If you didn't install them in compatibility mode to "Run as Windows Vista" and to "Run as Admnistrator", then I'd suggest uninstalling them and then reinstalling the latest version that's available from the wireless chipset maker (not from Dell).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:24 AM

Hold the phone. :huh: I have had this problem and I have what you need.
Usasma, Wireless connectivity/networking and drivers are all administrator. UAC requires authentication to install or update drivers.
Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows 7 all do the same thing. In fact, so does Linux.
Signal strength can be interfered with at any time. Lets say I have five bars of signal strength, so I am going to get 54 MBPS no matter what. Depending on my range, I may get 36 MBPS if I only have four bars. Sometimes three-five bars give you 54 MBPS.

What causes signal strength to vary?
-Thickness of walls
-Interferences of other devices. Any type of electronic device can interfere
-Types of lights
-Microwaves
-Power supply to router
-Channel setup
-Even right angles!
-Range

Capable WORKING solutions
-Change the channel on the router to 1, 6, or 11. Experiment with it. This has the biggest effect on how signals are transferred
-Get the router and wireless card away from phones, microwaves, and other radiative electronics...especially TVs and antennas
-Safely set certain unneeded network connected services to manual and stop them (if you have any of these, these affect data rates):
[Apple Mobile Device]
[Bonjour Service]
[Internet Connection Sharing]
[Windows Media Player Network Sharing]
(Access services by Start, in the search box type services.msc)

Other than that, you should have a good connection. This issue happens to all wireless connections. Sometimes the task manager and wireless utilities ignore weak, small changed to the data rate...and some do not. :huh:

#4 kinggw23

kinggw23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I re-installed Vista and the problem is back. Slightly different though. Say if I just opened IE7, my speed shows to be 54Mbps. Now if I go to download something, My signal falls to 1-5Mbps. Then when the download finishes my strength goes back to 48-54Mbps. I never moved and nothing changed. What does that mean? All drivers are updated. Thanks

Edited by kinggw23, 26 February 2009 - 04:56 PM.

Dell Dimension E520
750GB HD 4GB Ram

Dell Inspiron 1501
80gb HD 2gb Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

Hey there again!

Here is another list of why your connection speed may be slowed down! This is not a problem with Windows Vista!
  • Activity on your machine can cause the internet to run slower. This is really only a problem when running applications that access the internet from time to time, such as antivirus.
  • The quality of your phone line. This could diagnose the possibility of "a noisy line" which can lower connection speed sporadically. You phone company can easily fix this!
  • Poor or dying DSL modem. This is the last resort, in which repair crew will check the DSL modem for flaws.
  • Problems with your own network card, or equipment.
  • Too many wireless signals in your neighborhood. As you see it, wireless connections are getting very popular. The more radio signals flying, the more usage of the internet!

#6 kinggw23

kinggw23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

I'm really getting pi**ed. I connected my pc up to another network, only one around, and same results. It is a secure connection. When I am not doing anything on the internet, speed is 54 mbps, as soon as I go to ex. hotmail.com, speed falls to 1.0 until the page loads, then back to 54. I wander if it is something in the registry. I have disabled Internet Connection Sharing, Windows Media Player Network Sharing, and have changed the USB cord. This blows my mind. I also tried changing channels.

Edited by usasma, 17 March 2009 - 06:26 PM.
see **

Dell Dimension E520
750GB HD 4GB Ram

Dell Inspiron 1501
80gb HD 2gb Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

The service may be maxed out. When Idle you may experience full speed of 54MBPS when attempting to download something your service provider may be running out of bandwidth. Who is your ISP?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 vnvnvn2000

vnvnvn2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:15 AM

The troubleshooting is simple. Make the changes per our forum sticky and give the heave ho to DHCP BROADCAST.

What good is troubleshooting? All that would do is ask these questions:

1. Is DHCP BROADCAST FLAG enabled?
If yes, turn it off.

2. Is it set up per our forum sticky?
If no, set it up per the sticky.

-> I know some members don't like such an answer and for them maybe they need to call in outside service?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users