Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Right Click Content Menu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

Right Click Content Menu
How to manage and change Right Click Content Menu

Always when you right click on a file you get a Right Click Content Menu. Are wondering how to get rid of some of the items in the menu?

This Right Click Content is stored in your registry. For a normal user there are literally about 500 to 5000 record in the registry shell with all sort of right click items. An application such as Winamp comes along with more than 200 (according to my estimates). Each file extension (such as .exe, .mp3, .jpg) has its own unique content that appears on right click.

Some right click items appear for each file regardless its extension (such as Add to WinZip, Scan with Spybot S&D). This you can see easily in your registry, when you go to START/RUN and type regedit:

Warning: Changing Registry values could be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing don't do it.

In the Registry access:
HKEY_CLASS_ROOT
shellex
ContentMenuHandlers

Note that * stands for a right click on any file type.

Now you should see most of your right click menu items e.g. WinRan. To temporarily disable one item, double click on that item e.g. WinRar and type a - in front of the value. Now WinRar is disabled for your right click. To get it back, simply remove the -.

This is just to demonstrate how the right click content menu works. Since there are many file extension (e.g. .mp3, .mp4, .jpg) you could never manually manage all of them. Thus always the best way is to go to the program properties, and look for the options that handle right click content menu. Each program has such options. E.g. in WinRar look for the settings called Shell Integration.

If a program does not have an option to deactivate its own registry shell values, you would need to uninstall the whole program (I would do so, because I do not like programs that add stuff to your system, and don't give you an option to remove it).

However, even when you uninstall a program it can happen that the right click content menu stays in the registry, and shows at your right click. Then you could try to delete the keys manually, or use some of those famous programs that clean your registry automatically.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

An easier way, which doesn't involve opening the registry is to use a shell contect menu editor. I like shellexview. Very powerful, not as dangerous as the registry.

#3 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

An easier way, which doesn't involve opening the registry is to use a shell contect menu editor. I like shellexview. Very powerful, not as dangerous as the registry.

ShellExView is of some help, but 1) It is pretty confusing (even more that the registry itself) and 2) you can't access ShellMenu, so you need to download ShellMenuView from the same company. On the good side, the disable/enable commands work very well. Once you find in the shellexview or shellmenuview what you want to disable, it works pretty well. From my view the main difficulty is to find the right entry in the confusing shellexview list. Thank you for the link. Given the fact that both ways are quite confusing (shellexview and reedit), the best way is to go to the application itself and try to disable its right click menu content from the properties of the application.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users