Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

excel

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oldmanlat

oldmanlat

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

Hi.
Im using Office Home and Student 2007 Excel
When I drag the fill handle down, I want to skip every other row. There is no formula in the cell, just a number. This is what I want to accomplish:

A1 1
A2 blank
A3 2
A4 blank
A5 3
A6 blank
A7 4

And so on.

Thanks for your help.
bill48nj1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

Why do you want to skip?

1. If it's meant for good use, i.e. other entries, I have no problem.

Enter 1, then skip cell, enter 2. Now select the four cells and drag it down. You must include that last blank cell for this to work.

2. BUT, if you're doing it to simply have larger distances between the numbers, you can drag the row size larger - use the row number things on the very left.

I just noticed 2007. I know 2000 and 2003. Let's hope it'll work the same.

Edited by tos226, 17 February 2009 - 04:54 PM.

#3 oldmanlat

oldmanlat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

Why do you want to skip?

1. If it's meant for good use, i.e. other entries, I have no problem.

Enter 1, then skip cell, enter 2. Now select the four cells and drag it down. You must include that last blank cell for this to work.

2. BUT, if you're doing it to simply have larger distances between the numbers, you can drag the row size larger - use the row number things on the very left.

I just noticed 2007. I know 2000 and 2003. Let's hope it'll work the same.

Solved!
Thanks, that worked.
bill48nj1
PS The reason for skipped rows. I created a check book register. The check numbers are top to bottom in sequence, with an extra line for text in between.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

Good.

Now, it is none of my business how YOU design things.

But if you plan in the future to be able to find check 5928 will you be able to, with the excel filters, find what you look for if you put data relevant to that check on a different line? That's how I'd think one would use it.

If you make couple columns (check#,date,what it's for, amount, cleared) you'd be able to find and filter (Data - filter- autoFilter dropdowns on a column heading) what you're looking for in the future.

As I said - totally none of my business. Just suggesting that you think through, and anticipate, all possible uses and not get stuck with some design which might not provide the answers in the future. Pardon me please if I'm totally out of line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users