Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

combofix hung on stage 7 for 5+hrs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TravisJ

TravisJ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

I've just encountered this forum. I tried searching in the event that the question has already been answered, but that does not (yet) appear to be the case.

Which also means... I've seen the countless "combo fix it meant to be run with adult supervision" (can break your pc, steal your soul, etc... we also don't want to give details on how it works for good reason) disclaimers... got it ;)

The trouble is, I found that I have the WindowsClick malware on the system of issue. I was following the directions I first came upon that seemed reasonably legitimate here.

I am currently at Step 19 roughly. Last night when I went to bed, all seemed to be progressing nicely... until the reboot and ComboFix ran again. It got to Stage 7 and then hasn't progressed beyond that for over five hours (then I left for work this morning).

Is this reasonable/expected?

PS: Since finding this forum (and while searching) I found the combofix howto, but didnt notice any instructions about what to do in this even (or, perhaps I did, and it's just too late at this point to involve an "experienced" person before starting it).

Edited by TravisJ, 17 February 2009 - 01:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:14 PM

Hi TravisJ and welcome to BC.

ComboFix - you already know the dangers.

To answer your question... you will have to post a topic in the HJT forum requesting help. ComboFix advice outside that forum is strictly prohibited. It also gives you and expert to bail you out in case something happens. So, the best way to help you is to ask you to post an HJT log to the HJT forum... Then state what you told me and a tech will help you.

Please follow this guide from step (6). Post a HJT log to the HJT forum and a Team member will be along to help you as soon as possible.

If you need any help with the guide, please let me know. Best wishes - you are in good hands...

rigel
BleepingComputer Forums Moderator

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 TravisJ

TravisJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

Will do... thanks!

#4 TravisJ

TravisJ
  • Topic Starter