Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows could not start..system 32

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 berdawn82

berdawn82

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

computer won't go to windows, it says an error message that says this

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>..system32..hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above

anyone know how I can fix this without losing all the stuff on my computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:38 PM

This page discusses several methods for restoring hal.dll from you Windows CD: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

If you don't have a CD or find the above page to be too complicated or difficult to follow, please post back and we'll discuss what else can be done.

#3 berdawn82

berdawn82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

yeah, I know nothing about computer, so didn't understand that page at all..Sorry.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll and press enter.

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 berdawn82

berdawn82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

I don't have the disk, lost it when we moved. Should I buy one or is there another way

#6 Merasya

Merasya

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:03 AM

Buying the cd can't hurt as you never know when you might need it. As far as another way, it is possible, but it depends on more variables like the version that was running, what service packs are installed, etc.

As a quick patch try you can search the hard drives for the file, ensuring the search checks subdirectories and hidden files under advanced options. If one is found just copy it to the system32 directory. This may or may not work, but it is quick to find out. If it doesn't, just delete the copy you did.

Edited by Merasya, 22 February 2009 - 06:07 AM.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

You can download a copy of the hal.dll file from here:

http://www.dlldump.com/dll-files/H_1.html

However, copying in onto your hard drive when your computer won't boot is a little more problematic. It can be done with a live CD such as UBCD4Win.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users