Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hel p with Missing .dll file

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JAKEMW

JAKEMW

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

Hey -

When I am loading certain programs, all of a sudden the programs won't load and I get a message that states -

This application has failed to start because mserylygky.dll was not found. Re-installing the applicaiton may fix this problem. I have done multiple searches for this dll file and can't even find any reference to it anywhere on the internet. I'm not sure if this is a strange virus or what to do. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:18 PM

I assume you have done virus/spyware scans on the file? There are also online scanners to which you can upload the file for them to scan. One is: http://virusscan.jotti.org/

#3 JAKEMW

JAKEMW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

I've run Free AVG, SSD, Ad-Aware and Anti Maleware Bytes - the strange thing is that when even search for the .dll file on the internet, nothing appears.

#4 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

I've had bizarre .dll's that I searched for that came up with very little pertinent information (most of the stuff I got, out of about the six results on Google, were in Chinese or Korean). Not sure why this is, except that maybe some programs installed them as part of their function. I use a few programs that are not as widely known/used, so this may be a reason for them being present on my computer.

Have you searched for it via Windows Explorer? In what folder is the .dll itself located?

I wouldn't suggest deleting it, though, as it could be irrecoverable. I have deleted some of mine, and it worked. But, again, I do NOT recommend that.

Luckily, I have Windows installed on its own drive, so I don't have to worry about losing my data if I have to reinstall Windows.

#5 JAKEMW

JAKEMW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:59 PM

the dll file isn't acutally present on my computer. That's the strange thing. The error message says that the file is missing but I can't find it anywhere or find any reference to it.

#6 HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

This means that one of the programs you are loading has a registry key assigned to load that .dll on its start-up. The program has told the computer to search for this .dll when the program is loaded, so the computer is alerting you that it cannot find the .dll that it is assigned to look for. This is not necessarily a bad thing; it is just the computer acting how it should, by alerting you to anything that is different than it has been told to do. This is a prime example of the computer being a "slave" to the user, only performing activities it is told to do. As I stated, the computer has been told to check for that .dll by the program, and it has not found it.
I would restart the computer and load each program individually. By this, I mean only load one at a time at a significant interval to narrow down which program is the one causing the alert message. This will help you both figure out where to look for the missing .dll (if it is hidden or otherwise elsewhere on the computer) and how to search more exactly for solutions on Google.
So, there is no .dll on your computer (as far as I can tell), or it is missplaced somewhere on your computer that the program is unfamiliar with. The computer was told to look in an exact place, and the file apparently isn't there. A real-time scan by one of your security programs might have deleted this .dll because it thought it "malicious". I've had my real-time scan do this with some of my "handy" basic programs that were very simple but could be construed as "malicious" by a security program.

...sorry for the long post :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users