Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

Hi guys, I have a Computer that has been giving me some Internet Connection problems but is doing all-right as of now.Can somebody please explain to me why sometimes in my Start Bar/Tray I get a pair of TV Icons and at other times I get two pair.I can check under Internet Connections and always it has Incoming Connection which serves what purpose I do not know and below that it says Internet Connection.It is a Connection to The residential gateway.Below that I have my Local Area connection.At times I will get a pop up showing the Internet-Residential Gateway-Computer in a diagram and it will be showing packets transmitted and received.But this does not happen very often and 75% of the time I just show the Incoming Connection and my Local Area Connection with no middle Icon saying Internet Connection.This is the residential gateway connection.Why is it just popping up about 25% of the time.Some times after I start the Computer just a few minutes and at others times I have been on it a good while and all of a sudden the second pair of TV Icons pop up in my Start Bar/Tray with the message you are now connected to the Internet.I cannot locate this residential gateway connection with a search or anything.Where does it disappear to ? Why is it so inconsistent in coming up ? On second thought it's called the default Gateway connection at times.I do use a Linksys 802.11 G Router to send a wireless signal to my wife's Computer about 30 -35 feet away.I would appreciate any feedback on what is going on regarding this connection issue.Sincerely,Hearbeat85

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hi, I got confused myself :thumbsup:. Can you make a 2screenshot" of the connections once it happens and paste again? It could be that your PC is sometimes connected to networks you don't want it to. For your own PC do you use wireless or lan?
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#3 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:41 PM

Sorry so long getting back.Do you mean Copy and Paste a view of the Network Connections.Tell me exactly step by step what to do.My Computer is wireless working off the Ethernet coming through the Router.My IP Address has changed a lot lately at times.When I go to repair the Local Connection it has already gone or does go to 192.68.1.101,102,103 thru .109 Strange things happen on this Computer at times that could only be being done by somebody remotely controlling my Computer or my ISP which I would not doubt one bit.I appreciate ya ! Thanks,Heartbeat65

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

One should be for your Internet connections, the other would be for network connections, is there a red X on the second one?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:37 AM

No

#6 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:10 PM

1) Make sure that your router is security enabled and protected by a WEP key. If it is not, then anybody could just easily mess up with your network.

2) Make sure to have your windows firewall on all the time.

3) Connect to the router, to see the logs of PC that had been connected to your LAN.

#7 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

Thank you very, much.I have been using a Linksys Router with Speed Booster but I am going to switch.Somebody is definietly screwing with my network.I wish I new how to trace them down.I would pay a Security expert if I could and had the money.Weird things are stilling happening on it that could only be done by somebody outside.Yesterday I had a file called IE 5.0 and it had some silly terminology like Closed wallet and open wallet.What in .... does that mean.I delete it all out.Icons popped up on my all programs menu the other day I had never even used.Somebody had to do it.It's a mess.Yesterday one half of my wife's Antivirus had been disabled somehow and I had to reinstall it getting by pop-ups like "The Administrator has set policy to prevent this Installation".It's a total joke .Now my wife's Real Player has lost all it's sound.Man if I had the time you would not believe the crap that has happened.God Bless ! Heartbeat85

#8 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

P.S. I think a WEP key has always been in there but Security has always said disabled.I have not a Clue how to turn it on.Thanks,Heartbeat85

#9 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

P.S. I think a WEP key has always been in there but Security has always said disabled.I have not a Clue how to turn it on.Thanks,Heartbeat85

Usually on the bottom of the router there is an IP to type in to access the router software. If you have been hacked you could un hook the router and connect direct thru the modem till the router is reset.
Usually some sofware command to reset router, if you do that you will have to reset passwords, and all settings. That is probably the safest route to go. I am not very good on routers. Just enough info to "open the box".

#10 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

OH!!! PLEASE TURN IT ON AS OF NOW!!! READ YOUR ROUTER MANUAL. WITHOUT A SECURITY ANYBODY CAN DO ANYTHING WITH YOUR NETWORK.

usually you go to the router, and click some menu that says security enabled. do you know how to access your router? you got the manual somewhere?

to see who is connected to your PC you can do several things, the best is to see the log in your router. but you can also trace your lan... i had some software for it... i will search again.

#11 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:42 AM

Thanks folks,Dear rosiesdad I looked on the bottom of the Router and I do not see a I.P Address on it to do what your saying.All I have is a Serial #,MAC Address,Ownership I.D. and a Device I.D. I have not tried to look at the Wireless Connection link in my All Programs menu but I will.You can hold in the reset button the back of the Router 5-7 seconds and it restores it to the default settings.This morning I barely had a Connection with just the Local Area Network without the Internet Gateway showing,the incoming Connections Icon showed.It was receiving a few packets but not transmitting any and the Local Area Network 2 TV Icons was not lit.Yet it still showed connected at 100.0 Mbs in my tray/start bar.So, I unplugged the Router,Reset the Modem and let all of it's lights come back up except for the Ethernet.Then I plugged the Router back up.It has no ON/OFF Switch and after it 's 4 lights came up it was flickering occassionaly or frequently like it does when it' doing good and so did the 660 Modem.Two of the lights on it flickered often which has always been good.I looked and an ballon popped up saying, "The Internet is now connected "and the second pair of TV'S appeared in the tray so I knew the default gateway was back up.The first set of TV icons on the right stay lit up and the second set of TV Icons on the left just beside the first on The Internet Gateway flicker.I even looked and my I.P. Address was correct.But it will not stay on the Correct I.P. Address.If I have to hit repair if I lose a Connection it will show .101 instead of .1,then .102,103 etc.I have seen it go all the way to .113.How ??? It usually says The ARP Cache cannot be cleared call your ISP for help.If you find that I.P tracing/tracking stuff let me know.I am going to try and enable security but it probably come to think of it is on maybe on the main Router at my Computer because I reinstalled it using the instructions disc.It's my wife's lit Linksys 802.11 G Adapter where you can actually open up yhe monitor and get it to connect if needed.It is the big screen that says Security is disabled.It has a "more information button,my profiles and something to the left of MY Profile.I cannot remember but you can open it up and hit refresh and it will show the Channels,what %, etc., and I think you can Connect here to.Last time I spoke to a Linksys technician he show me how to remove extra unneeded Channels except for one channel number and maybe the default.Currently it shows one of my Channel listed 3 times.I forget how to remove it because only the default and sometimes one channel will show under My Profile where you can add,edit,delete,etc. a Channel but I forgot how.I am going to call Linksys.But there is no button or rather I cannot find it to where Security says enabled.I am going to ask the Linksys tech about that.Will post back.Heartbeat85

#12 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:19 AM

Yes the best is to call Linksys or your Internet Service Provider. Those helpdesk people are trained to direct you via phone to configure the router and network settings.

#13 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

Hi there, I finally got a Linksys tech to help me install the Router correctly.I had messed up before by putting admin in the username instead of the password.It opened up a Control panel I had NEVER seen before.A WEP Key was enabled and at one point maybe 2/3 rds the way through my Internet Gateway Icon popped saying I was connected.Now for the bad and unanswered by the tech.I had to open up my square green Linksys monitor Box that is in the tray and the all programs menu of my wife's computer.You see I send a WIRELESS signal to which goes to her WUSB54GS Linksys Adapter that sits on top her Computer .Little blue square adapter.O.K. at one point it ask me for the WEP Key and I entered it.Her Internet Gateway popped open all of a sudden.Now the dissappointing pissed me off news.Pardon my French.Her Adapter installed with a Installation disc,etc.O.K. when I opened up the green monitor box under the center tab it showed a duplicate of my Channel number with a different network name than I used.It said linksys.O.K. one other channel number was also there labeled dlink.Under Profile tab to the right of the Center it only had listed linksys (default) is what it said.No other Channels.Allright I know from experience with the Linksys techs that the additional two channels the liksys and the dlink could be removed.The tech would not even tell me how to remove the dlink which had the same channel number as mine I had created a little while before.I was able after putting in the WEP Key to connect to my new network name I had set up on my Computer.That was fine.Then the hammer dropped.The Linksys tech told me the linksys default under the profiles tab COULD NOT BE REMOVED MY Neighbor was also using it.I just about lost it.I was royally pissed off.I asked the tech in other words you are telling me that myself and the man behind me are sharing the same dam network.He would not answer either way.He said not to worry about the fact that under the more information tab Security still said disabled.He said that when we put in the same WEP Key as my Router that enabled Security on the Adapter.Still, I said that is what you are telling me.It makes no dam sense for the Security to still say disabled.I think he "may" have been telling the truth about this.Maybe I say.I just thought of something I had not before.When we entered in the admin in the password request section after putting in my I.P. Address on my Computer the Big Linksys box opened I was telling you I had never seen.He asked me what the I.P. Address said and the default gateway.I told him.Then we went to another screen I cannot remember the name.It may have been status or something.Anyway he asked me what it showed as the name of my Network.I said to him it says Linksys the very term they had me use when the different tech help me set up the router in 2005 and later somebody helped me a few times with the Adapter.He said no wonders you have a problem anybody could channel through that.That is the same dang thing he would not remove out of the Profiles in my wife's adapter.However at this point Linksys was removed and a new network name put in.I told him getting back to where we were nearly done.Neither the Router nor Adapter was put in right the first time.He refused to comment referring me to a different toll free Linksys phone number that he said had techs more skilled than he was and they could "explain things better" than he could.I have not called that number yet.Toward the very end I asked him if he thought I should make the call to them and I ask him what he thought, he said "no" this time.????I said to him you remember I told you somebody had control of my Computer at times.Things were being done,created,etc that could only have been done with somebody having access to my Computer.At one point he ask me and it seemed as though it was just a fishing or curiosity question who my ISP was.So I told him.At that point I did not know what I was getting ready to find out from him shortly.He said yes.I said well this Linksys network you say I cannot removed explains in all likely hood a hell of a lot of things that have been going on for a long time.He made no comment.I said do you feel like I do that my neighbor who happens to know a lot about Computers has been my problem maybe and not my ISP.He refused to answer.He subtly ended the chat gradually in a nice way.Guys have you EVER heard anything to beat this B.S. I told him I would have to change ISP's and I had a brand new Router more secure that I had not even put in yet.Sorry about my French but like I told him I feel I have EVERY right to be pissed off.Folks I knew it would all eventually come out in the wash.Also the man in the trailer behind me could have had some real good reasons to install an Adapter just like my wife's.This offers a plausible explanation for a heck of a lot of things that have went on.Sorry I am so late to reply back patbox and all of you.But this just took place today.I had been wanting to buy me a new Computer with XP Pro or anything but Vista.Dell is about the only one offering such a deal.But my God you start building at 349.00 and end up with a 950.00- 1000.00 configuration.I need to keep it under 800.00 if possibble.I e-mail a little,do a little surfing on the net, and listening to you tube music videos.This old E-Machine W3052 has about had it.Maybe that's why one time when getting tech support from my ISP they knew I was using an E-Machine.My Administrated privlidges and all sorts of weird things have happened before on this Computer.My wife has even witnessed some of them.Maybe I am getting toward a secure network.Thanks guys,Sincerely Heartbeat85

#14 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

BTW:

You can trace who did it by just simply logging into your router, and then look at connected computers. They leave a footprint whenever they set foot on your router.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#15 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

Thanks ! Not exactly sure how to get to that Login Screen unless I enter my I.P. Address,then get the user name password box that pops open like when you are configuring your router and put in admin as a pass word.This opens the great big Linksys box.Is this what you talking about.O.K. if so where do I click on after that and what would I do to make the determination you are saying.I know there is a way somehow to remove the channel that is a duplicate to mine.Only mine has one networked we named it and the other is dlink channel... Please let me know if you can tell me.Funny thing sort of happened yesterday.At one point way into setting up the Router the tech typed in Oops !.... He refused to tell me what he had seen or done when I ask him what were his concerns in making that statement.I live in a Trailer park which is really small.However the man behind me is my landlords son who has an illness,is disabled, and stays at home.Is it posibble or likely we are getting the same DSL connection because of the phone line coming in from the main highway.When the tech told me that I could not remove the Linksys default which I remember in 2005 was what they told me to put in and said it was my neighbors also that pretty well answered the question I think.When he would not answer whether I had been basically sharing a connection something can obviously be deducted from that.I do not know if going to a different ISP or Router would help.Do you or does anybody.Last night after my post I thought I had things fixed finally.Well my default gateway would NEVER open .I could not get a good connection even though it said in my "local area connection" I was connected.I was not.The Gateway still showed being under Network connections.Well how in the heck does it just hide itself.It does show in Network Connections when it is open and I have the Second set of little TV Icons down in my start bar tray I guess you call it.When it is opened.The Local area TV Icons stay lit and every so many seconds the Gateway TV Icons will flash.HOW does the Gateway appear when it's working and disappear when it's not even though if you opened up my Desktop icon it is enabled because it has highlighted in black "disable".I wonder if when I do not see it my neighbor has the Gateway opened up controlling it.When I try and click repair on my local area connection it always/most of the time it says that"The repair could not be finished because the internet cache could not be cleared please contact your local systems administrator".Looks like I could be told how che.Is that not just temporary internet files ? My ISP has not been a fun experience in dealing with Not at all.Also last night I was trying to perform a rudimentary tasks again,it has happened so many times, and it popped up with the message "You may or do not have Sufficient Secutity/Administrative privlidges to access this page". I have always been and my wife "Full Administrators". I argued hell out of my ISP one day and they tried to say I did not have them I have your computer manufacturer on the phone.I never had time to even get her name.Well it was e-machines tech support.The man told me what I knew he would.You are a Full unlimited Administrator.I said thanks sir.I have known that 3 years.Nobody is here but my wife and I.My ISP has harassed hell out of me but knows I cannot prove nothing.You know the sadest part of it all.We are gradually losing our 4th Ammendment rights and my Local L.E. would not even bother with such a trivial thing.Do you think anybody on the State or Federal Level cares.I highly doubt it.Matter of fact also I do not believe Linksys tech one bit about my neighbor cannot be removed off my Network.If so that means probably one thing.He has only one Computer.Ya think he might have an Adapter just like my wife's and is picking up every dam thing coming his way.I feel the chance is very good.His living room is not 50-70 feet right behind my trailer.What a dam mess.Sorry about the lingo but I have every right to be pissed.Any and all information that he my Company who railroaded me out of my job and I have been told I have a VERY strong employment lawsuit against along with Politics,ie, who they know in local,state or even Federal Agencies could be a great motive to obtain information.I was a very good employee of 25 years.Then several years ago false reports popped up,a Manager that all I ever done was good work for was trying to get me fired in a meeting,when a good Christian man in management stood up for me and THEN the Union President did.I have a medical condition.A Chronic Generalized Anxiety disorder and Major Chronic Depression that requires regular med sand has for 20 years or longer.What do you imagine happens if I say I am being monitored ,harassed, or anything ? The Doctors and others explain it away by lying like heck and saying "oh he thinks somebody is trying to undermine him" Heck folks they are.It is NO.... imagination.People if ever a day would come when I could tell my story to the appropriate people,people who REALLY cared,believed me, and knew the truth when they were hearing it I would fall over.I'll never get the chance in this world though.But if I become poorer but suffer for my Lord and Saviour for an ETERNAL life,it will have all been worth it.People will not involve themselves in helping me,at least legally, and I understand why.I hate to say it but I would have to do the same.There ARE repercussions.Three different doctors despite registered ,delivery confirmed letters,refuse to send me my Medical Records.However they sure helped me get A FULLY favorable SS ALJ Hearing decision within 2-3 weeks after the Admin. Law Judge Hearing.I have sent many an e-mail that I never got a reply back to.It's not hard to figure why now.People I knew over thirty years just turned their backs to me .I hate to say it but Management,Union, and others have all contributed.Even my local friends downtown.The head honcho's dad is an employee of my Company and has been 30 years approximately.I ask a girl one time if I had done anything she could think of to deserve the treatment and at times poor representation from the Union I got.You know what she said.No,No, they are just some mean people down there.I really was not suprised much at all.God Bless ! & Thanks guys,Heartbeat85

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users