Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Partitioned needs formated help with partiton.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 diepartbrandin

diepartbrandin

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:31 AM

Alright here is the deal,
I have a 20gb hard drive running as a slave in windows xp media center, when I click on the drive Icon it says that it needs to be formatted. So I push ok, at the next screen it says there is only 7.89gb available, This hard drive is empty but I think it has been partitioned. What do I need to do to get use of the full drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:21 PM

If the drive has been partitioned you either need to delete the partitions & reformat the drive or merge the partitions.

IMO, The easiest way would be to hook the drive up [temporarily] as Master, boot a XP [or other Windows boot disk ] , delete the partitions & for mat the drive.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:32 PM

You can use Power Quest Partition Magic to see if you have any partitions and you can also merge partitions with it.
Else, use Gparted, it is the same as the one mentioned above.

#4 diepartbrandin

diepartbrandin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

Thanks Guys :thumbsup: its working fine now

Edited by diepartbrandin, 17 February 2009 - 06:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users