Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Dead? Humidity?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dmc29

dmc29

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:13 AM

I have a DELL LCD monitor that I've had for at least 2 years. But it's been raining here and water has been leaking through my apartment unit ceiling. I've had a towel that covered my desk to soak up the water, and I don't believe any water got through to the monitor. However, is it possible that the humidity and the cold temperature damaged the monitor?

I can't turn it on now. It's not the power cord either, as I'm using an extra monitor fine with the same cord. Should I have waited before trying to turn the monitor on (I heard it may fry if the condensation isn't completely dry).

FYI - it's not incredibly cold here, not sub-zero or anything, but maybe I can wait for it to warm up unless it's fried : (

Appreciate any thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:18 AM

In general when electronics are exposed to water the first thing to do is to immediately remove the power source. Unplug the unit or disconnect battery source of power. Make sure your body is isolated from any grounding sources, wear insulating shoes, pull the power plug with one hand and keep the other hand in your back pocket. Trying to let the device burn off moisture with power can result destroying the electronics and dangerous leakage of high voltage and the possibility of high voltage coming in contact with you. Electro chemical reactions do occur when moisture and voltage are present and corrosion and permanent unwanted electrical paths can formed to render the device non-functional. This can occur with just a few tenths of a volt present. If there is condensation present on a circuit board it can be sufficient to cause all of the above problems.

After disconnecting power sources shake out any water the best you can and use a fan in a dry warm place to remove the moisture. If you can safely remove the case of the device and understand the dangers involved with capacitors (some can hold a very high voltage sufficient to kill you for a very long time) remove the case to aid the fan in removing the moisture. Let the fan run at least overnight, or longer if necessary.

In the case of an LCD monitor I am not sure if you can safely remove the case or if there are adequate vent holes for a fan to penetrate. Make sure that monitor is thoroughly dried out before reconnecting it to a power source.

#3 silverpl105

silverpl105

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:48 PM

Don't have that experience, but my brother's phone dropped into water and died since then. But personally I think if it is only Humidity, the case should be ok not that bad.

#4 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:43 PM

I am embarrassed to admit this but I did dunk a cordless phone while talking on it a couple of weeks ago. No it wasn't the toilet thank goodness but just the tub as I was walking by it. I pulled the battery immediately, took the case off and used a fan to dry it. Worked like a charm. I used this procedure too many times to admit and so far I have been lucky. I do know people that lost cell phones in toilets :huh: , maybe they deserve to lose um if they using them there. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users