Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external storage drive and files to rid of ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:26 AM

I have an external storage drive that I have kept my photos stored in folders on via Adobe Photoshop Downloader. I made a mega mistake and copied individual pics to the ext drive.
Now I have the 8 wanted folders with pics and 500 individual unwanted pics.
I am trying to figure out a short method to delete them and keep the 8 folders.
I tried "Ctrl + A" and of course the 8 Folders are hi-lited along with the 500 + pics that I want to rid of.
Does anyone know how I can keep the 8 and rid of the individual 500 + ?

I am sorry if this sounds silly, however I have never been in a dilemma like this before.
Thank you for your time and interest.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:53 AM

shift + click one file, then shift + click another file later on, selects all the files in between, you can right click and delete from there. or, if the 8 files are in between, ctrl+click can choose multiple files by ctrl + click each individual file. prolly be easiest to do the shift +click (same time) to do it however with that amount of files.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

Thx for the much needed information. I did it methodically and it actually did not take too long. I had hoped that there was a faster way to do it, but such is not the case. I will be more careful what I do next time with photos!!!!
That is for certain.

I don't know if I should ask this question in this thread, however it is related. I have pictures by date about 40 in "My Pictures" and within that "Adobe folder" and within that by date of when I downloaded them.
I am wondering about the process of getting these pictures into my External Storage Drive with the Date on the folder.

Thank you. This is my first time of trying to remove photos off my laptop and send them to the External drive.

All help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time and interest.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

So the structure is

MyPictures

--- Adobe folder under MyPicture

--- date 1 folder under Adobe folder

--- pic1

--- pic2

--- date 2 folder

If so, when you just copy the dated folders, the date of the files is preserved.

But you should try it first on a picture or two to make sure it'll do what you want.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

the easiest way to do it I would think would be to right click the adobe picture in the pictures folder, when the popdown menu pops up, click copy. then from my computer go into the external hard drive, go into the file you want, right click again, and click paste. If you dont want to do that, you go into the adobe folder, shift+click or ctrl+click if you want multiple individual files, then once their all high lighted, right clock one of them, when the pop up menu drops down click copy, then go into your external hard drive to the folder you want them, right click inside the folder, and click paste.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:27 AM

" Patriot ", thank you....sorry for being so dull ! I am just starting at this.
I don't know whatever possessed me to send individual files over there but I did.
I now have rid of them.
I thank you for taking the time to respond to me.
Cheers and kind regards.
Should you have any other suggestions for reading I would appreciate it.
(BTW...it is nice to get constructive suggestions instead of members pulling you apart and emabarrassing oneself...while I believe that a forum is for sharing of knowledge.
Have a good day !

Edited by georgia, 23 February 2009 - 03:31 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:46 AM

You can use the instructions that the_partriot09 has suggested, but there is a simpler way to do this. Rather than having to go between the pictures and My Compurt use Explore.

Right click on Start, click on Explore. When Explore opens click on the file where your pictures are stored and it will appear in the pane on the right. Find the external hard drive to and click on the + to show its files. Once you see the file that you want to transfer the pictures to you can copy from the pictures in the right pane and paste them to the target file in the external hard drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users