Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warez cracks bundled with a nasty malware surprise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

P2P, warez, and software crack users beware! There has been a surge of nasty malware that is masquerading as software cracks floating around a lot of the crack sites and P2P communities. If you decide to warez software then there is a good chance you will be in for a nasty surprise.

Historically, software cracks are a large source of malware. A user installs a crack to steal a copyrighted software and without their knowledge they have now become a zombie in a bot farm or start spamming email from their computer due to infections bundled with the cracks. Over the last couple of days we have seen a nasty brew of malware being masqueraded as software cracks that install a variety of malware such as rustock, TDSS, and IRCBots. Some of this malware will not be apparent to the user as they run in the background, but others will be quite visible. For example, when we examined these malware packs we have found all of them promoting the System Security and Antivirus XP Pro 2009 rogue applications. You will know you are infected because your desktop background will be set to black screen, as shown below, stating that "Many viruses were on your computer such as : Trojan horse, PassCapture, etc." You will also see numerous taskbar notifications stating that your computer is infected and when you click on the balloon, it brings you to the home page for Antivirus XP Pro 2009.

If you find that your computer has become infected as described above, I suggest that you use the following two guides as necessary to clean your computer. If you are still having a problem, as there is a good chance you will with this malware bundle, then you can post a question in our Malware Removal forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:52 PM

OMG!

How unfair -

if you use illegal cracking software you'll be getting malware too!

Evil doer on evil doer crime!

That just ain't right!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:56 PM

I wonder though.....

If someone does evil by putting malware on illegal software and such so that others who uses the evil products can do the illegal things, are they doing us a favor by giving it more of a message to say that illegal software and such are more evil than they already are?

Wow....confusing question is confusing :thumbsup:

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#4 whatttup_G

whatttup_G

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

its the price of poker... you want free stuff, you take chances... either way, this exact basket of junk is tough to scrape off to say the least

i didnt win until i got to fdisk, but had fun trying... if i ever cross paths with the 'third hands' i will break them off and feed them forcibly to their former owners :D:D:D

ok, this site rocks... good luck fellow suckers :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by whatttup_G, 18 February 2009 - 03:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users