Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which should I keep?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nile

Nile

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

I've got many anti virus programs on my computer, which ones should I keep:

1. Trend Micro
2. Spybot - Search and Destroy
3. Avast!
4. Ad-ware
5. AVG
6. Mbam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

Hi I am figuring that the Trend Micro in the list is an Antivirus as are AVG and Avast. You can only have on e AV active on the machine or you will have both slowness and conflicts.
So if that's the case two of them have to go. (opinion keep Avast).
I personally wouls eliminate both AdAware and SpyBot as there detection rates have fallen. Keep MBAM and add both SUPERAntispyware and SpywareBlaster.
You can find them here... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
What firewall do you use and what Operating system.

EDIT: Forgot the link :thumbsup:

Edited by boopme, 16 February 2009 - 10:00 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:54 PM

Chose the antivirus you like the most, then ditch the other two. The anti malwares are fine together, though I have read of conflicts between Lavasoft's Adaware and Spybot S&D. If you keep avast go to this link and read about it.http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Edited by danjmilos, 16 February 2009 - 09:58 PM.

#4 Nile

Nile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

Hi boopme! Thanks!

I'm running Windows Vista Home Prenium, 2 GB Ram. Inspiron 530s.

I'm using PC-cillin Internet Security (aka. Trend Micro) for me fw.

So this is what I should do:

Get rid of AVG, Ad-ware, Trend Micro, Spy-bot. Install SUPERAntispyware and SpywareBlater, and keep MBAM and Avast?

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

TM or Avast is good the rest is right. I added the link I forgot before.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Nile

Nile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

Is it possible that I can keep TM and AVG? Are those comptabile together? Can you please refind the links, I do not want to download any more *ware... I wanna make sure it's safe.

Ok thanks Queen-Evi! I'm gonna have to make this decision.

Edited by Nile, 16 February 2009 - 10:06 PM.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

You can only keep one as an active (realtime) scanner. the other may be kept installed as on demand. They willl conflict other wise make your PC slow as twp apps are vying to interpret the data coming thru, They may also scan each others virus database while scanning resulting in false positives and eternal scans.

#8 Nile

Nile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

Ok! Thanks, once I figure out what I keep and such you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users