Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing RAM also

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

Hey Y'all,

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a very similar problem...
***System Specs found in my profile***

I have had 3G of RAM for quite a while, recently went a got 1G more... (Have 4 1G sticks) System still shows the 3G..?? (3070 MB) and when looking at the system properties, it shows 3G RAM... I am confused..

Posted Image

Posted Image

((Example: This system has 2GB of RAM installed, yet my query justly reflects 1.75GB available.)) <<how did you get this?

The system appears to be a little smoother on game play, though I understand I will not see a big difference...

Thanks in advance, help here is always appreciated..

KillmyPC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

To see the total amount of physical RAM installed you need to look in System Information, the figure in My Computer reflects the amount of RAM while in use. Start> All Programs> System Tools> System Information.

Go back inside the case and make sure that the module is properly seated. If it is and still doesn't work remove all but the new module and install it in the first slot, if it doesn't work you may have a bad module.

When you do install a full 4GB of RAM you should be aware that you will not see the whole amount, a 32-bit operating system has a total address space of 4GB, this address space is also used by System ROM, APIC(s), Integrated PCI devices, such as network connectors and SCSI controllers, PCI cards, Graphics cards, and PCI Express cards. Because these are taking up address space a full 4GB of Ram cannot be utilized.

Edited by dc3, 16 February 2009 - 11:54 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

Graphics cards! are the big hogs, their ram can be 256, 512 megs and up now
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

Hmmmm... I guess it is there... lol

Yep, my graphics card is a 512... haven't really had any problems with resources... you know...(bigger and badder...)
Odd to me though, that it doesn't show up in Everest or PC properties... Is that normal??

Thanks guys

Posted Image

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:32 PM

Look in System Information to see what it shows for total physical Memory. If Everest shows only 3GB then I would suspect that the new module isn't being seen.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:32 PM

Bios is about the only thing that really sees it, after windows gets it and reserves those address spaces, it's all over

That's the big push of 64 bit, not that I have seen anyone do anything faster with 8 gigs of ram than 3 gigs.

Dual quad core servers are a different story
Chewy

#7 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

So I guess, as long as it shows up in System Info... I shouldn't worry about it...?

Is that a fair assumption?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:19 AM

I shouldn't worry about it...?

the system information was a fairly recent patch

No need to worry since noone can really do anything about the limitation except upgrade to a 64 bit OS
Chewy

#9 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:22 AM

Thank you Sir...

As always, advice here is accepted and greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Peace

#10 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:21 AM

a 32bit windows version will only show 30xxMB of RAM.. you need a 64bit system to use and show more...
Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

#11 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

**use and show**?

Are you saying that not only will it not show the other RAM, but it will not benefit me either??

Meaning that the other Gig of RAM is basically useless?.... :thumbsup: Bummer

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:16 AM

I had tried to explain this earlier, because of the Address Space is only 4GB total and that there are other things like your PCI cards, graphics card, etc that share this Address Space this will not leave enough of the Address Space for a full 4GB of RAM. Because of this when you install 4GB of RAM it effectively will only between 3GB and 3.5GB of usable RAM depending of how much of the Address Space is used by these other devices.

#13 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

Hmmm..sounds like a hit a nerve there dc3...

I guess the last question wasn't clear... it referred to the comment from luser...

I understand what you are saying about other devices, and realize you NEVER get to have all the RAM you get... but expected to see a change in the system properties (still showing 3G), and Everest (still showing 3070 MB) after the additional install. (Made NO change in these). And was content with your answer, especially after seeing it showing in the System Tools.

But from what I understood from Luser's comment, was that the additional Gig would do no good whatsoever...That is what prompted my last question.. Sorry if I gave you the impression that I was not listening, or dismissed your advice/response... I have always been very appreciative and content with the answers I have received here...

Peace

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

I still think that you should remove all of you RAM modules except the new one and place it in the first slot and see if it works.

Did you check to be sure that the module was seated properly?

#15 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

I have removed and reseated all of them, as well as switching slots, but I have not tried only the new stick, I will try that... and then I will try each stick, solo in slot 1 and see what happens.

Have to go get an MRI (bummer) will try this and post back this afternoon...

Thanks

Peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users