Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AGP upgrade...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wee

Wee

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

Got an old HP with AMD 3300 Socket 754, 512 mb memory, 9200 SE graphics & XP sp3. I started play WOW again....and the ole' 9200 @ 1280 x 1024 is churnning out a whole 15 FPS at the lowest settings. I was thinking about picking up a 6200 Nivida card for like 45 bucks that should be better, but what do you guys think is a better upgrade for this old trusty machine to survive ??

BTW...sorry wrong forum....

Edited by Wee, 16 February 2009 - 07:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

If you're just planning on playing WoW, a 6200 would be a better card, and you could probably play WoW on medium with about 30fps sometimes (just a guess though). If you plan on playing other games, especially newer games, get a new system. A single core processor, and agp graphics isn't worth upgrading for gaming.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

I actually had the same situation awhile back but it wasn't with WOW, it was a different game.

I made the mistake of buying a Nvidia 6200 .
It was worse then my old Radeon 9200 !
They advertise the 6200 as a "256MB' card but that is a bit misleading.
It uses "turbo cache" for the memory.
It actually has 64MB of memory & gets the rest from the system memory !

I didn't think much of nvidia cards before that & think less of them now.
The only nvidia card I've ever had that was worth having in my opinion was a old Gefore 4 440MX. :thumbsup:

If you'r going with a nvidia card I suggest one that doesn't have "turbo cache" .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

While I totally agree with Sterling on the system upgrade, I must add.
I to have an older system (see sig..) that I to had a AGP video card need for as well. The 6200 you mention, just wont do. I have had family members try the card you mention in WOW, and it just didn't hold its own in that setting. I just installed a Sapphire 3650 AGP and it does a commendable job of rendering on my system. Its one of the few, AGP offerings that don't require a load of wattage and still seams to support some good functionality( be sure to use Hot-fix drivers from sapphires site. don't load the provided disk). I still have my 6200(PNY, 256, fan-less, used after 6800,AGP toasted a couple Caps) as a stand-by, but wouldn't suggest it as a gaming (WOW style) unit. The AGP bus has left the terminal.
Best wishes.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#5 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:01 AM

If you can pick up a bit more RAM to make 1GB, thats gonna help you the most. My friend is running WoW with quite nice framerates on a 440MX P4 2.2ghz. 6200 is a newer series, so it should work better. Your RAM is usually the biggest bottleneck, in WoW, i think.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#6 Wee

Wee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

If you're just planning on playing WoW, a 6200 would be a better card, and you could probably play WoW on medium with about 30fps sometimes (just a guess though). If you plan on playing other games, especially newer games, get a new system. A single core processor, and agp graphics isn't worth upgrading for gaming.

Tx for the input you guys...My main PC that I play with has a AMD X2 5600, 2 gb. 6400 memory, 9600GT OC'd, and XP Pro SP3. That plays WOW on Max. with 60+ FPS, always....I was just looking to play in garage with the old PC when the wifey is doing work on the main PC....If I can get 30 FPS then that's a decent upgrade and BTW there is a radio shack on the way home from work that is having a clearance on the 6200 for like 39 bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users