Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could I get suggestions re: favorite configs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dsligar

dsligar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

Getting very tired of my e-Machines PC, which has commenced acting like a snail. I'm
trying to clean / optimize it using Hacker's Nightmare, but I'm really thinking it's time to
build a new box. My requirements are comparatively lenient: I'd like to pull up web pages
fast - with my 1.3 meg DSL connection. I also keep lots of web pages active at once (if I
can!!!) so need some capacity -- memory, or what? No fancy graphics card, just a really
good processor. And quality parts that will be unlikely to die. Fast hard drive, 64 bit OS?
Did I mention dirt cheap? (LOL) Recommended dirt cheap sources? Anyway, those are my issues.
Thanks in advance to everyone for sharing. This kind of deeper-than-total-user knowledge
is not so easy to get. Thanks again, David Sligar, Arizona

Edited by dsligar, 16 February 2009 - 05:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

1.3MB DSL isn't very fast, but you make the best with what you've got. If you want to save money, build the PC yourself. However, not everyone is comfortable with doing that. Quality parts will cost more, so if you plan on building it, go to Newegg. We can offer individual part selections with a budget. How much would you be willing to spend? Would you reuse any of your old PC parts like the CD or DVD drive? Here are some simple guidelinines.

CPU: I suggest getting a dual core or quad core. Dual core CPU's are pretty much the standard now and you should get one at about 2.8GHz. or higher. Quad cores are the future, if you see yourself keeping the PC for a while (5 years) get one with a speed of 2.5GHz. or higher.

RAM (A.K.A. memory): This is dirt cheap these days, go for 4GB or more. Note that you will need a 64-bit OS to use 4GB or more.

Video card: Do not use integrated or on-board graphics cards, they just don't perform well. If you can afford it, get a discrete card that goes into a PCI-Express slot.

Hard Drive: Get at least 500GB, you'll have plenty of room to expand into.

3939.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:09 PM

If all you do are routine tasks...no need to spend much money.

Any system made in the last 5 years does those things well...you have to remember that we all used what was available then and were quite happy with those systems (for routine things).

If you game, you need to think whether you want to play the games you currently have...or future games (which will probably necessitate hardware changes).

Configurations vary according to interest and money available to spend on a system...yours probably should be no different.

<<And quality parts that will be unlikely to die.>>

Have you had parts die before on you? That's a risk that no one can mitigate, since they are man-made and designed.

Louis

Edit: Since you seem to have no idea what you might like...I suggest doing a little "window shopping" at the Newegg and Tiger Direct websites. Newegg will have listings for more current items, while TD will have deeper listings of items no longer pushed by Newegg.

Edited by hamluis, 16 February 2009 - 07:12 PM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:58 PM

I find TigerDirect to be confusing and a bit of a mess. Nevertheless, window shopping is a good idea to get a gauge on how much it will cost and what you should be looking for.

3939.png

#5 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:09 AM

I find TigerDirect to be confusing and a bit of a mess. Nevertheless, window shopping is a good idea to get a gauge on how much it will cost and what you should be looking for.

I'm with you there. I tried to look around there, and i couldn't find anything good, partly because of the layout, and partly because of their selection. If you know what you're looking for, newegg is vastly superior.

So, you could probably get away with a cheap computer around 500-600 bucks, easy. Just get 2GB of RAM, and you'll be fine I would bet. Keep it clean, and don't let startup programs get away with your machine. (I hate antivirus programs just because they do that.)

If you wanna build one, i'd be happy to help. I find them to run much better because they don't have pre-installed crapware, you're more familiar with your machine, and theres way more customizing involved. You can make the case fancy, or not, and leave room for expansion or not.

Also, how "dirt cheap"? Stalk the dell site for a few months, and i'm sure you can find a computer that can handle anything you want to throw at it with ease. 500$ is pretty easy to get there, if you're not looking for a new monitor to go along with.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users