Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Startup Repair Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VistaH8er

VistaH8er

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

I'm new here, so if there are problems with the way I'm asking for help please tell me.

So, I use a Windows Vista Basic on a Compaq, and a few hours ago I got a message asking to restart my computer for updates. I delayed it for about an hour because at the time I was having a computer programming class, and when the class was over I restarted. When the computer started up again, however, instead of showing the regular startup animation (a little box at the bottom with moving green lines, and a © Microsoft Corporation thing below that), it showed a plain black screen with a white line at the bottom and the message: "Windows is loading files...".

After that, it showed a blue screen and a dialogue box with a format similar to those of the old Windows computers, which said "Startup Repair". Below that, the text was:
"If problems are found, Startup Repair will fix them automatically. Your computer might restart several times during this process.

No changes will be made to your personal files or information. This might take several minutes."

Below that was a blue loading bar with the text "Searching for problems...".

But after a few minutes, the dialogue box changed and instead read: "Windos cannot repair this computer automatically.
If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer. If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Click Finish to exit and shut down your computer."

Below that were two links:
1) View diagnose and repair details
2) View advanced options for system recovery and support.

And there was a smaller dialogue box that read:
"Microsoft Windows

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically.

Sending more information can help Microsoft create solutions."

And then the option of sending information about the problem, and a small "View problem details" button.

Since the only things I had connected to the computer were the AC cable and the Mouse cable, I didn't think they were the source of the problem but I removed them anyway. I then clicked "Finish" on the first (bigger) dialogue box the first few times, but after the whole thing repeated about half a dozen times, I decided to check the "View advanced options for system recovery and support" link.

That's where the real problem started. It gave me a list of recovery tools I could use:
1) Startup Repair--Automatically fix problems that are preventing Windows from starting
2) System Restore--Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
3) Windows Complete PC Restore--Restore your entire computer from a backup
4) Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool--Check your computer for memory hardware errors
5) Command Prompt--Open a command prompt window
6) Recovery Manager--Recovery Manager 32 bits

The first option, the Startup Repair option, was the one that the computer had automatically used already (with all those dialogue boxes I described above). I tried that a few times, but when that didn't work I tried System Restore, option 2. Unfortunately that didn't work either; I never created a restore point on my computer's system disk and the dialogue box advised me not to create a restore point now since the computer was running in a limited diagnostic state.
Option 3 didn't work either, because I had no backup available.
I tried Option 4, the Memory Diagnostic, twice, which showed a blue screen with yellow text and took about twenty minutes each looking through the entire computer for memory problems. Both times it came up with nothing so the problem probably didn't have to do with memory either.
The Command Prompt didn't really help, because I'm not very good with computers so I didn't know what to put in the prompt in the first place.
The last option was the only one which looked like it might work, but it was basically the option of returning my computer to its factory mode. This was out of the question because I would lose all my files, and since I never had the foresight to save them on a hard drive first, I would never get them back.

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do: I rebooted my computer for the next few hours after that, but each time the situation was the same. I'm reluctant to use the recovery manager and risk losing all my files for good.

Please help me with this problem. If you need more information I would gladly provide it: I just want to make sure my files are safe.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? Try rapidly tapping the F8 key just before the Windows splash screen shows up.
If so, let us know and we'll start with some troubleshooting stuff.

While you're waiting for a reply, I'd suggest backing up your stuff immediately. There's no telling where this problem will take us, so it's a good idea to have a backup made "just in case".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 VistaH8er

VistaH8er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

I tried pressing F8. The following "Advanced Boot Options" came up:

Repair your computer
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Enable Boot Logging
Enable Low-resolution video
Last Known Good Configuration
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure
Diable Driver Signature Enforcement
Start Windows Normally

I tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Repair your computer, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, and Start Windows Normally. All of them ended up with the "Startup Repair" dialogue box like before.

And since I can't enter Safe Mode, I can't back up my files...unless there's some way of backing them up with just that blue screen and the "Startup Repair" window.

The update I installed was for the Norton Antivirus program. Does that have to do with anything?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:16 PM

The backup of your info depends on what's causing this problem. Since you can't get into Windows you'll have to use an alternative method to access the hard drive and backup your data.

I recommend the use of the Ultimate Boot CD and an external drive to copy your stuff to. You can get the Ultimate Boot CD for free from here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ Read the documentation carefully to figure out how to copy the files from your hard drive to an external drive.

Another option is to get a USB drive enclosure for your hard drive and connect it to another computer. Then you'll be able to copy stuff from your hard drive to the other computer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Nerdful Things

Nerdful Things

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

I would buy a usb thumb drive and boot off a livecd. Grab your important files, then try to fix your Windows before the agony of reloading. The ultimate is ok, if you make a PCLinuxOS livecd I could walk you through, as I am most familiar with my OS.
Not to step on anyone's toes. There are many livecd's out there. This is a cd you burn, obviously you have access to another computer. You boot from the cd, get a desktop, and just drag files from your dead windows drive to the usb key.
There are issues. Windows uses ntfs, and some live cd's cant't access it. PCLinuxos live cd can, and I'm sure ubuntu by now.
Just tonight I am using the PCLOS n1ptt test release 6 live cdrom to do some work to fix my Vista problem I have posted here. Mostly to just move files around. N1PTT TR6 is closed, don't use it except as a tool. Just I think would be easier than the ultimatecd in a pinch.
And give thanks for the bleepers here

#6 tutecky

tutecky

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

I am having this EXACT same problem to a tee. Could someone tell me what to do after you get in safe mode? I do not care to back up anything on the computer... I just want to restore it so I can actually use the computer. Anyone please....

#7 ibreezy

ibreezy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

I am having the same exact problem. Can anyone help? I am not familiar with the lingo in the previous posts that gives you instructions. I am not computer literate when it comes to fixing on computers.

Thanks!

#8 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

I recommend the use of the Ultimate Boot CD and an external drive to copy your stuff to. You can get the Ultimate Boot CD for free from here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ Read the documentation carefully to figure out how to copy the files from your hard drive to an external drive.

Could you please help me out here and make sure you type slow lol because I'm having problems keeping up. Someone else recently sent me to the site you just linked for the Ultimate Boot CD, (actually he sent me first to the boot DVD). Although i have looked hard, every clickable link I find sends me HERE where they want 50 bucks. Where on your link can I get the free version?

Sorry for the temporary threadus interuptus.

EDIT: NM, I see it now. It's quite small at the top under the PCWorld lolgo............

Edited by DeathStalker, 06 June 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#9 ruynk

ruynk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:10 AM

Windows Vista has some problems with updates. That is my experience.
And I did not found a "save" way to recover Windows, but Linux works pretty fine. Use a live CD for Linux (e.g. Knoppix is very practicall for windows systems) and start Linux, copy your files to a usb-disk and install windows new.
DON'T TRUST WINDOWS!
ruynk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users