Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Installation

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

Does anyone know how to setup Network Installations, i'm trying to install programs from one computer to another, remotely via my LAN. I know it can be done, but i can't seem to find out how to set it up.
Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

I don't konw, just want to ask: if you put the installation program into shared folders on PC1 and access this shared folders from PC2 and run it (from PC2), does this not work? Or do you want to install everything from PC1 without even touching PC2? I just know you can NOT do it in windows XP HOME, but it should be a standard tool in NT or XP Professional.
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#3 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

Oh this is how you do it. The dirty way:
1. Set up windows remote desktop (you need to have XP Professional on the PC where you want to install).
2. Put your installation program to shared folders
3. Access the PC with remote desktop, pick your file from shared folders, and install it.
How about that? :thumbsup:

#4 Desion

Desion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:29 PM

Oh this is how you do it. The dirty way:
1. Set up windows remote desktop (you need to have XP Professional on the PC where you want to install).
2. Put your installation program to shared folders
3. Access the PC with remote desktop, pick your file from shared folders, and install it.
How about that? :thumbsup:

Thats not really what i meant, however, i dont think what i wanted is possible in windows xp. I think it was for windows server. ;l
Interesting Links:

#5 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

The most common editions of the operating system are Windows XP Home Edition, which is targeted at home users, and Windows XP Professional, which offers additional features such as support for Windows Server domains and is targeted at power users, business and enterprise clients. :thumbsup: In case you have XP Professional, you could try to ask at the Windows XP forum at thiis site how to set it up.

#6 Desion

Desion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

Ok thanks ill look into that lol ;)
Interesting Links:

#7 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:48 PM

Does anyone know how to setup Network Installations, i'm trying to install programs from one computer to another, remotely via my LAN. I know it can be done, but i can't seem to find out how to set it up.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...tain/share.mspx

#8 Desion

Desion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:14 AM

I don't konw, just want to ask: if you put the installation program into shared folders on PC1 and access this shared folders from PC2 and run it (from PC2), does this not work? Or do you want to install everything from PC1 without even touching PC2? I just know you can NOT do it in windows XP HOME, but it should be a standard tool in NT or XP Professional.

I acually tried putting the files on the other pc but it wouldnt run on that pc, just the one that i was on.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...tain/share.mspx

I wanted a way to install a program on a pc while logged on a remote pc. Sharing files will not accomplish that though, however, thanks anyways ;l
Interesting Links:

#9 Commander_Kang

Commander_Kang

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:30 AM

I've done this many times using a Logmein account (free at www.logmein.com). You need to register both computers to the account, which will require you to have access to the remote pc (or have someone at that end download and install the logmein software for you). Then, you can use Logmein Remote Control to control the remote computer. You could download the program or application from the internet (or from an FTP server if not available on the internet) and install it yourself onto the remote pc by using remote control. Easy. The only hiccup might be if you don't have access to the remote pc in order to get it registered...

Good luck.
...Soon, they will make a board with a nail so big, it will destroy them all!

#10 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:17 AM

I acually tried putting the files on the other pc but it wouldnt run on that pc, just the one that i was on.

Have you installed the windows remote connection? It says, that if you have windows XP Professional you can log in to a PC from LAN or internet remotely. You should see the desktop of that PC and control it. Then pick up the files from the shared folder, copy on the local disk, and click to install. In theory should work.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...up_03may16.mspx

#11 Desion

Desion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

Have you installed the windows remote connection? It says, that if you have windows XP Professional you can log in to a PC from LAN or internet remotely. You should see the desktop of that PC and control it. Then pick up the files from the shared folder, copy on the local disk, and click to install. In theory should work.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...up_03may16.mspx

What i mean is, i want to beable to install a program onto a remote computer, without logging into it. I can access the files on the remote pc without logging in, so is there a way to install a program just by going into its files and clicking install or something (which dosent work).
Interesting Links:

#12 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

If such option would exist any hacker would just install stuff to other PC. :thumbsup: You would need to have administrator rights on that PC and you would need to have access to registry and etc. Try putting the whole PC or C: drive into shared folders and give the guest account administrator rights. Else you need to work out that option with Windows Server as you said earlier. Once you solved it let me know, I would also like to install programs over my LAN. I am sure the members of bleeping computer who as network administrators do this every day. I think it might help if you ask this question in the forum titled Windows NT/2000/2003 to check how they do this and if it is possible with XP.

Edited by patbox, 18 February 2009 - 08:28 AM.

#13 Desion

Desion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:48 AM

If such option would exist any hacker would just install stuff to other PC. :thumbsup: You would need to have administrator rights on that PC and you would need to have access to registry and etc. Try putting the whole PC or C: drive into shared folders and give the guest account administrator rights. Else you need to work out that option with Windows Server as you said earlier. Once you solved it let me know, I would also like to install programs over my LAN. I am sure the members of bleeping computer who as network administrators do this every day. I think it might help if you ask this question in the forum titled Windows NT/2000/2003 to check how they do this and if it is possible with XP.

Oh, great idea. I'll let you know what i find out. :flowers:
Interesting Links:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users