So, I am not exactly sure when this started, but the first problems I noticed were that I couldn't download files through Internet Explorer or Firefox. It would go through all the normal steps, the download bar would go (maybe quicker than normal). It would finish, then I would check where I downloaded it to, and it wouldn't be there.
I tried seaching the internet for a fix, found one solution(if you want to call it that) where I disabled mcafee from screening my downloads in firefox. I did it through firefox, sorry if this is unclear, my friend who helped me isn't answering his phone. Hopefully I can clear this up when I get a hold of him.
So I was able to start downloading off firefox, but still not internet explorer
I downloaded a Zip file through firefox to my desktop. When I tried to extract it, it extracted the folder but not the contents in the folder. I am pretty confused why this happened.
So I figure I will try a system restore, I set it back to the earliest possbile date (about 2 weeks ago). It goes through, except after it reboots it says it cant be completed successfully, your computers files and settings were not changed. Description: Transient Error, if the backup process is retried it may not experience error (0x800423F3). Now when I start system restore, it get an option to undo the most recent system resore or go to another point. Both options get the exact same error, except it doesnt even make it to reboot now.
I search some more on the internet, and its apparently a WMI issue?
My Security center stopped recognizing any Malware on my computer. It's not recognizing McAfee.
Random note: When i Right Click Properties on my Computer, the System section lists Processor Speed and Memory (RAM) and both say unavailable.
I tried this fix:
1) Start the computer and keep tapping F8 on boot up and select Safe Mode.
2) In Start search type cmd. Hold CTRL, and SHIFT, and hit Enter.
3) Type net stop winmgmt, and press Enter. Wait for WindowsManagementInstrumentation (WMI) service to be stopped.
4) Open Windows Explorer. Go to the windows\system32\WBEM\ folder and rename the Repository folder to something else like OLDRepository
5) Restart computer in Normal Mode.
6) In Start search type cmd. Hold CTRL, and SHIFT, and hit Enter.
7) Type net stop winmgmt, and press Enter. Wait for WindowsManagementInstrumentation (WMI) service to be stopped.
8) Type winmgmt /resetRepository.
9) Restart computer.
10) Try System Restore again.
didnt fix anything
I'm completely lost on what to do or how to fix this, desperately need your help.
Edited by Hobart32, 16 February 2009 - 02:53 PM.