Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Second Monitor

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

Can I connect my second notebook to my first notebook, and use the screen of the second notebook as a second screen of the first notebook?
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:48 PM

well, I dont know the exact hardware configurations of your notebooks, but off hand I would say most likely, no, you would have to have an video out port and a regular monitor to use as a secondary monitor. if one of your notebooks had some kind of video in device, which I have never heard of (doesnt mean it doesnt exist just that i havent heard of, its definitly not a common feature) I suppose you could, but my guess is no.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

Can I nowadays plug in an external monitor into a notebook via USB drive?

#4 silverpl105

silverpl105

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:50 PM

I had never seen such kind of connection, but I guess that's feasible.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:22 AM

i have never seen a USB monitor, but I guess it is technically feasible, however I would think you would have to have either an external VGA or DVI output of some kind to use an external monitor.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:07 AM

Hello, I have an netbook (smaller than small pc) and it only has USB drives, and something that looks like a port when one used to connect a mouse several years ago. I think it was called COM port. Maybe that size of port is now used for connecting external screens?

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:43 AM

The technology is there for video over USB. The low bandwidth of USB and the CPU processing required for the software component limits how much can be done with it:

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/revie...nitor-20080630/

http://www.displaylink.com/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:34 AM

The technology is there for video over USB. The low bandwidth of USB and the CPU processing required for the software component limits how much can be done with it:

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/revie...nitor-20080630/

http://www.displaylink.com/

Well essentially I am looking for a technology to use a screen of a second notebook for my first notebook. How about that? (My second notebook is more powerful and my first notebook has a better screen. The best of all would be to have a dual screen tho).

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

I do not believe it is possible to do that, I have never seen it done personally, but I dunno maybe with a serial port, I dunno maybe someone else has done it but I never have.

picard5.jpg

#10 ClePto

ClePto

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

I don't know how well this will work but you can take a look and see if it fits.

you could use this to take video out of one of the laptops via usb

USB Video Card

and then use this to bring the video back in over usb

USB Video Grabber

I don't know how well all of this will work together but you can give it a shot.

You would also need to pick up one of these VGA to S-Video & Composite

#11 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

I am using a USB to VGA adapter to run a 3rd monitor. It works well for 2d applications, I use that monitor for my email, music player and various utilities. The only problem I have found is a slight conflict when watching television on another screen (attached to video card) that causes a small crash that immediately recovers.

This is the one I have
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/sky-usb-dvi-adapter/
Screenshot
Posted Image
The screen on the left is running on the adapter.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users