Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wanting to build a media center

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 marcscott

marcscott

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

I have a custom built computer, it has the following specs that I can find
2.4 GHz
448 MB Ram
XP Home 2002 SP2
Sony CDRW CRX 320EE
HD DVD Writer 1140i
Maxtor 500 GB External HD
Legacy video Capture Device
Lynsys 2.4 GHZ Wireless B router

I would like High Def video and be able to load all DVD and CD's on to it to listen and watch from any comp or TV in the house

Was wondering what else I would need or need to upgrade to make this computer a wireless Media center for my home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:47 PM

Do you know what make/model motherboard is in the computer ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

If you're going to watch high-def movies, such as H.264 and Blu-Ray's, you may want to have a dual core processor. Also, I'm not sure if your current PC supports DVI or HDMI with HDCP. If you plan on watching Blu-Ray's in all their high-def glory, you need to have an HDCP compliant monitor and graphics card.

3939.png

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

It looks like its about time for an upgrade if you want to watch Hi-def movies without many problems. You're probably running on an older board, which is really hard to upgrade enough.

A model and manufacturer number could help us a lot. (That looks a lot like my friend's sony vaio, in specs.)

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users