Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange CPU Problem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lomer1

lomer1

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:06 PM

Hi guys, I'm new here. Having a bad CPU problem so decided to ask around to see if I can actually solve the problem. Any form of help will be greatly appreciated, I'm at my wits' end! Thanks! =]

The situation is this:

About 6 months ago, I started having this weird problem in which my CPU will sometimes not boot up. What happened was that whenever I powerup, the power will come on, everything will start whirring (CPU fan, my 8800 GTS fan, casing fan and everything else that should whir), this will go on for about 2-3 seconds before the CPU then shuts off itself. Without me touching anything, the CPU will come on again by itself and the process repeats itself until I actually turn off the power supply. Strangely, this does not happen all the time. Sometimes, when I leave it alone for some time and trying powering up again, my computer boots and I'll regain normal function. One day, I got fed up and opened up the case. I ensured that all the connections were properly connected and voila, for 6 months, the problem did not happen again.

Recently however, the problem resurfaced itself. I did what I did previously but I was not successful in resolving the problem. (I wasn't even sure that what I did solved the problem) In rare cases, the CPU will power up and stay powered, but there isn't any POST and my monitor is left in standby mode. Sometimes when it did boot up, the computer would hang within minutes (sometimes hours, if I'm lucky). I noticed that when it hanged, all my USB devices powered down, except for a wireless network adapter (Linksys WUSB54G). And sometimes when I'm really lucky, I would be able to use the computer normally. I'm not sure if it's because of overheating because RealTemp would show my Core1 Temp as 60deg and my Core2 deg as 37-40+ deg. I have no idea why my Core1 temp is ALWAYS constant at 60deg and never ever changes. Additionally, RealTemp shows my system temperature as 30+ - 40+ so I'm really not sure which means what. My ASUS 8800 GTS 512MB is OC-ed and has temperatures ranging from 60 - early 70s, which at first I took to be rather high but upon further enquiries, I was told that early 70s is still acceptable.

My specs are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 Ghz @ 7.5 x 400 Mhz (I had to because of my RAM settings)
GA-EP35-DS3P
Kingston HyperX 4x1 GB sticks at 4-4-4-12, 800 Mhz
CoolerMaster Real Power M520 @ 520W
ASUS 8800GTS 512MB TOP Edition
2x250 Seagate HDD on RAID0
If needed : 1x Razer Tarantula Keyboard using 2 USB ports
1x Razer Diamondback 3G using 1 USB port
1x WUSB54G (linksys wireless network adapter using 1 USB port)

Sorry for the long post, I'd like to be as detailed as possible.
Any help will be greatly, greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:41 PM

Looking at your motherboard specs here,

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...me=GA-EP35-DS3P

It shows 1.8V memory.

The memory you have is 2.0V
You might check in the BIOS to see if the memory has the proper voltage.

Speaking of BIOS, If you check the site the E8400 needs Bios F2 or above.
If you have never updated the BIOS check to see if you have F2 or above.

You can use PC Wizard to obtain the info,

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 lomer1

lomer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:30 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, I've actually tried adjusting my memory voltages to 2.0V, but it still happens. ):
I'm going crazy!

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:48 AM

My best educated guess would be that your power supply is a little too weak to reliably handle that overclocked vid card, the raid stripe and those 4 ram sticks

Booting requires a lot of power to get everything up and running, also when you are running 4 sticks the memory voltage tends to drop below the bios setting

You can test by raising slightly over the reccomended 2 volts or by removing one set of sticks

Are you manually setting the cas?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 lomer1

lomer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:01 AM

Yepp, I set it manually. I've now changed the FSB back to 333x9, but FSB:RAM is now 10:12. I'm on my laptop now, haven't been able to boot, so I can't up the memory voltage for now. It doesn't even POST, it just goes on and on with the power cycle - all the fans whir, HDD spins and everything, there's even power for my DVD-RAM drive, it just doesn't POST. I'll work on the PSU idea when I'm actually able to borrow a higher powered PSU. Meanwhile, please help!

#6 lomer1

lomer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:03 AM

Yepp, I set it manually. I've now changed the FSB back to 333x9, but FSB:RAM is now 10:12. I'm on my laptop now, haven't been able to boot, so I can't up the memory voltage for now. It doesn't even POST, it just goes on and on with the power cycle - all the fans whir, HDD spins and everything, there's even power for my DVD-RAM drive, it just doesn't POST. I'll work on the PSU idea when I'm actually able to borrow a higher powered PSU. Meanwhile, please help!

Sorry for the double post, must've clicked accidentally.

Oh and, I was looking through my PSU Manual, and it says my modular PSU supplies a peak capacity of 600W, what does this mean?

Edited by lomer1, 18 February 2009 - 01:56 AM.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:15 AM

CLR_CMOS (Clearing CMOS Jumper)
Use this jumper to clear the CMOS values (e.g. date information and BIOS configurations) and
reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear the CMOS values, place a jumper cap on the
two pins to temporarily short the two pins or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two
pins for a few seconds.

Be sure and pull the power cord, leave off for a minute or two

If it posts then set defaults and then slowly one or two things at a time make adjustments

If it doesn't post then you might have a component failing
Chewy

#8 lomer1

lomer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

Alright, I'm on my computer now. It's really weird because, usually when I leave it alone for some time after I am unable to boot it, it'll function normally. I'll try clearing the CMOS. Pardon the not-so-tech-savvy question but, how will clearing the CMOS help?

Regardless, thanks so much for the advices!

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:49 AM

When you are tweaking bios settings, it's easy to go over the line and you get an unstable configuration

I overclock there and every so often I go too far and have to clear cmos

Those memory timings are critical
Chewy

#10 lomer1

lomer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:54 AM

Hi, thanks for the advice, but clearing the CMOS isn't helping. ): it still hangs shortly after I boot. Does IRQ sharing affect anything, because I realised my USB controllers are sharing IRQs with my GFX card and RAID Controllers.

I'm trying to do a memtest on my RAMs but apparently either I do not know how to work it, or it's not working because after I insert the bootable disc, and select my options, it just says loading memtest.....ready. and then it gets stuck there. =/

Edited by lomer1, 19 February 2009 - 10:57 AM.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

Test one stick at a time

My mobo won't boot at default, I have to set the memory first

this is rocket science

Edited by DaChew, 19 February 2009 - 11:24 AM.

Chewy

#12 lomer1

lomer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

Rocket science indeed. Nothing's working. Haven't been able to memtest because I've been trying to boot the block of metal the whole day. Recently, I get a lot of random BSODs that point to random driver files like usbport.sys, win32.sys, sometimes it's IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL, sometimes it's BAD_POOL_HEADER, sometimes it's DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL, sometimes there isn't a specific error, just a STOP error with the address and upon opening the minidump, the system blames ntoskrnl.exe.

On the verge of giving up! ):

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

burn the cd from the iso and boot to the cd drive and let it do the rest
Chewy

#14 lomer1

lomer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:10 AM

Sorry, busy with work these days and haven't been able to get back to the piece of junk I once liked so much!

Did just that, but it just stops at ready.... and nothing happens after that. So I do have to pluck out every piece of RAM, less one, before I start the test? Hmmm, I actually once thought it might have been some software problem but today it hanged at my BIOS setup. So, it's gonna be my mobo, CPU, or RAM?

#15 lomer1

lomer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

): no one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users