Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless internet problems. Media disconnected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jonnyb1978

jonnyb1978

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

Recently joined with Bt broadband and have homehub 2.0. All running smoothly until the other day when computer stopped connecting to the router.

Basically Bt went through some settings remotely and still no joy. When i type in ip config on command screen, it stating media disconnected and im sure this is the problem.
It has also given me 2 different ip addresses aswell.
I still can not connect with the ethernet cable on a normal basis.

However i accidently connected the network bridge icon in network settings and this lets me connect with the cable tho disconnects when i unplug.

Though i can gain some access i really need my wireless back yet have not got a clue why its not connecting.

Through the network bridge connected i have looking into the router settings and all seems ok and full connectivity available. So the problem seems to be the connection of the computer to the router and the missing ip adress and media disconnected.

Can anyone advise what i can do as i have tried everything that im personally aware of and still it does not work.

Thanks in advance.

May i add that i have reset settings etc to the router as the Bt support went through all this but when the ip address came up as 0.0.0.0 and then media disconnect he said its a fault with the computer.

Edited by jonnyb1978, 16 February 2009 - 12:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

wireless switch on?
Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

#3 hub714

hub714

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

If the wireless switch is on, are your wireless and wired connections bridged? That always disables my wireless connection. You have to set some other stuff to make it work, but I don't see why you would need a wireless and a wired connection bridged together.

#4 jonnyb1978

jonnyb1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:53 AM

The wireless is switched on and always has been. It should just detect the router as soon as the computer boots up. There has never been a problem before. When i manually connect or repair it still does not work. It will also not work when i plug in the ethernet cable.

They have never been bridged has this has always. Its just a solo wireless network for one computer.
However now that things do not work i enabled the bridge icon in the 'network connections' page and this DOES connect to internet through the ethernet cable but not wireless.

What concerns me and what i think the problem is that the computer is not communicating with the router as the router can not identify the computers ip address as when i type in ipconfig in the command prompt its giving me conflicting numbers and media disconnected.

#5 jonnyb1978

jonnyb1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:17 AM

With a bit of messing about i have managed to get a connection but no responce from any online services.

The computer boots up and starts to make a connection. I either get limited or no connectivity or i do make a full connection. Though there is a connection i can not loas any web pages and still need to enable the bridge and LAN to use internet. I can the ipconfig and it will give me a full set of addresses for ip, subnet, gateway etc.

Tho when i disable the bridge all connection is again lost but the wireless says its still connected yet does not do anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users