Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"SID" E-mail attachments.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

I hope someone can cast some light on this for me.

Although I can receive picture attachments listed as "SID" directly from the sender and open them without any problem, simply by clicking on "allow from this sender" when my computer blocks images, but if I forward any of these particular attachments they cannot be read by the recipient. I do not know why this should be as all other types of attachment cause no problem and wonder if there is a way around this or whether I need to download additional software.

I am running XP home with Norton antivirus and firewall and Firefox browser. My hubby is running Vista Home Premium with Firefox but the same problem arises if any attchments he forwards to me are of the "SID" type - I cannot open them.

As some of these pictures are worth saving on my computer, I really would like to understand what is going on here. The only other information I have is that the sender is with a different ISP but cannot see why this should be the problem.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SLIX

SLIX

• Members
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hi

To be honest I had never heard of a SID file.
Wikipedia describes it as MrSID (pronounced Mister Sid) is an acronym that stands for multiresolution seamless image database. It is a file format (filename extension .sid) developed and patented by LizardTech for encoding of georeferenced raster graphics, such as orthophotos.

If you can view these files, you must have some software on your PC which recognises files with the SID file extension as versions of Windows do not support SID files. The chances are that the people you are sending this file to do not have a program on their PC which recognises the file format.
If you can view these files, you may have the option to save them in a different format. If you are able to do this, save them as a JPG file (which is supported in Windows) and then send that to your friends.
Steve

#3 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:42 PM

I think there must be some software I need for these files. They are picture files which I cannot open if they are forwarded to me rather than sent direct when I can open them. The originator is quite a computer buff and does use windows and I was told that I needed a codec. I was not sure what that meant but as he then sent the attachment direct to me I was able to open and view it. I have today received a few more of these SID attachments forwarded to me again with the same frustrating result. I will get back to the original sender of these attachments to see if there is any other way I could have these forwarded to me and see what happens. I will get back to you if I have anything useful to report.

If you have any information on what codecs might be useful I would appreciate the advice.

Many thanks

#4 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:42 AM

Thanks to Slix for the guidance on this query and giving me the clue I needed to find this plug-in. I have now managed to download and install the SID plug-in and can open all the hidden pictures and they are beautiful. As it may be helpful for others, I will go through the steps I followed to find this elusive plug-in and get back to the forum with the details later today.

Again many thanks.

Silver threads (now blonde!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users