Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

didnt pass genuine test..

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

we recently got a computer guy to reformat the pc and reinstall xp for us but now, a week after, its sayin we hav an illegal version, didnt pass the genuine test etc so we clicked on the details link and its telling us to spend a million trillion pounds [ exaggerating] on a proper legal version when we had one already, until the guy 'fixed' it for us. i looked at the product key he used to activate and its different from the one we hav on our windows xp sticker, so is there any way to change the product key so that its back to our old legal version WITHOUT having to buy another one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CRMA_Grumble

CRMA_Grumble

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:47 AM

Edited - with apologies for breaking the rules.
(02/16/09) 10:54 AM EST CRMA Grumble

And fire the tech.

Edited by CRMA_Grumble, 16 February 2009 - 10:55 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:55 AM

What you are requesting is a violation of the forum rules, please read the specific rule below.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

You need to go after the person who installed the operating system on your computer and make them come up with a viable copy of the operating system and the proper product code.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

Oh I see... sorry :thumbsup:

#5 CRMA_Grumble

CRMA_Grumble

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

What you are requesting is a violation of the forum rules, please read the specific rule below.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

You need to go after the person who installed the operating system on your computer and make them come up with a viable copy of the operating system and the proper product code.

Ah my first post and already an illegal. Sorry.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:34 AM

we recently got a computer guy to reformat the pc and reinstall xp

take the computer back and tell him/her to do a clean install with a generic oem disk that matches your certificate of authenticity(that sticker) and to use your numbers

If this guy was just a friend doing a favor then order the disks from your manufacturer
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:36 AM

Let me clarify what I posted, I should have answered that no... there is no legal way to change the product code, and what CRMA_Grumble is suggesting would a violation of the forum rule that I posted.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 CRMA_Grumble

CRMA_Grumble

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

Again, I offer my apologies. I've read the rules page and will endeavor to not fall from grace ever again.

#9 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:42 AM

Let me clarify what I posted, I should have answered that no... there is no legal way to change the product code, and what CRMA_Grumble is suggesting would a violation of the forum rule that I posted.

Okay, thats perfectly understandable, simple answer was all that was required, but thanks to all that replied. can/should this thread be closed or deleted now?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:52 AM

CRMA_Grumble, you obviously were only trying to help and weren't aware of our forum rules I don't see a problem here, especially since you removed the suggestion. By the way, welcome to BleepigComputer.

FunkyChicka, there's no reason to close this that I'm aware of, if there is any way that we can help just ask. I have to agree with Dachew, that's the proper way to pursue this.

Edited by dc3, 16 February 2009 - 10:54 AM.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:00 AM

For what it's worth, Keyfinder is a great program used by IT professions/technicians

I have a copy, but have only had to use it a time or two when the sticker on the outside of the computer was damaged and I couldn't read the key

It will not allow you to change a key tho.

If you have a legal sticker and your installed OS matches that liscense, this might all be fixed by calling microsoft, they are quite understanding when piracy is not involved
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

but i thought piracy was involved in this case? unbeknownst to us.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:52 AM

We aren't sure that it is piracy, all we know is that the product key that you have isn't being recognized as being valid, this could be as simple as a typo.

If this is the Dell that you have posted about in the past then you are in luck. As long as you have the product key and the Dell information on the sticker you found then you should be able to get the CDs needed to install the operating system and drivers. My experience with Dell has been positive, I know that if they charge you for the installation CD and the CDs for the drivers it would be very little, I had a friend who had lost their CDs and Dell mailed them copies for free. Once you have these we can walk you through the installation.

#14 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:20 PM

I dislike Dell support, but I'm guessing I would have to call them? or is there a link on their website to get the cds?

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

we recently got a computer guy to reformat the pc and reinstall xp for us but now, a week after, its sayin we hav an illegal version, didnt pass the genuine test etc so we clicked on the details link and its telling us to spend a million trillion pounds [ exaggerating] on a proper legal version when we had one already, until the guy 'fixed' it for us. i looked at the product key he used to activate and its different from the one we hav on our windows xp sticker, so is there any way to change the product key so that its back to our old legal version WITHOUT having to buy another one?

I hope I am not breaking any rules responding here, I am only responding because I am going with the assumption that what this poster says about this is being a legally owned copy of windows is true.

When you say you looked up the product key, how did you do that? The key that is shown in system properties is not the true product key. You must use something else to find the true product key.
If the tech typed the product key in wrong, (heck, the tech might not have even used your copy of windows) either do as DaChew suggested or just reformat and reinstall xp yourself, being very careful to type that product key correctly. Personally, I would do it myself or have a tech come and do it at my home as I would not be comfortable leaving my copy of windows with someone at a shop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users