Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 raj29

raj29

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:05 AM

My system configuration is:- 1) CPU- Pentium D 915, 2) Motherboard- ATI Socket RC410, 3) Memory- 1GB DDR2 667MHz, 4) Modem- PCI Internal modem 56K, 5) Sound Card- Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 7.1, 6) Optical Drive- Two DVD writer, 7) HDD- Seagate 160GB SATA@7200RPM. I wanted to know that how much wattage I need for my Power supply unit; at present I have only 350W PSU. Please answer if anybody know.
I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:51 AM

By today's standard a 350W PSU isn't very powerful, but if you are going to use the onboard graphics then you should be ok. If you are going to eventually add a dedicated graphic card then you should consider a PSU with 450W to 500W.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:49 AM

A 350 watt PSU is fine for that system. I doubt the system pulls more than 175 watts at it's peak, likely less as the 915 has a 95 watt TDP.

As a rule of thumb, I like to draw no more than 2/3 of a PSU's max rating with a system, assuming I have a quality power supply to start with.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:09 AM

The advertised wattage of power supplies is a little like stereos or believing a used car salesman

I go for a brand name first then wattage

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

The first 2 PSU's dynapower and raidmax, I wouldn't waste my money on the shipping

You will have to go down the list and hit 35$ or more to get a true rating
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:28 AM

It would be nice to be able to see these PSUs so that you pick them up to see which are heavier than the others, the heavier ones generally have larger caps and better transformers. One thing you can look for when shopping online is to look for a efficiency rating, you want one at about 80%.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:36 AM

Thanks to dc3,dpunisher,DaChew for your valuable information. I am using my onboard graphics I don't need to install a graphics card as I am not a gamer. So, I want to know - Is my current PSU enough for a stable system?
I am the Saint and the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But don't think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Sword were to speak...

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

Yes.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

Keep your computer and that powersupply clean and cool and it will last longer
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 raj29

raj29
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:02 AM

Thank you DaChew, I will follow your valuable advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users