Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop continual restart. No OS, no BIOS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 triindiglo

triindiglo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:11 AM

Hi, I need my laptop computer to be working asap, and resolving this issue soon would really make my day.

I have an HP Pavilion dv6324us. (specs from hp) There have been a few problems with it before, but nothing serious (wireless internet stopped working - probably the biggest other problem, but no big deal)

When I turn the computer on, all of the lights light up but nothing shows up on the display. The fan runs at normal speed and then slows down (it did not do this when starting normal) after which it shuts off completely and restarts. This continues until I do a hard shutdown. (each 'cycle' takes about a minute)

This problem came completely out of the blue. I was using the computer the previous day with no problems at all. I have not used any resource intensive programs (games, photo editing, etc) for a long time. I'm 99.9% positive I had no viruses or anything last time it was working ok.

I have tried taking out the memory and harddrive and re-seating them, and unplugging the RTC battery to reset the CMOS, both to no effect.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:59 AM

Go to HP's site and start a "Livechat" session. Make sure you have your lappy with you, serial number handy, and the charger as you will be run through a short diag. I think the NV 6150 chipset is included in some sort of HP recall. I have had HP take care of two laptops for customers for no charge for similar problems. Can't hurt to give it a try.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

Do you have access to a monitor that you can plug it into?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users